Best Nikon Lenses

macdsean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am relatively new to photography. I have had a Nikon D50 for about 2 years and love using it. So far I have only been using the kit 15-55mm lens. I am thinking about purchasing some new lenses but have no idea what to get.

I do a wide variety of photographs from close-up isolated objects to wide angle low light shooting and lots in between. Can anyone suggest some good all purpose lenses for my Nikon D50? Also, please list what each lens you recommend is ideal for. Thanks for the help.

eh?
your going about this backwards I think. Better way to think about getting new lenses is the following

1) work out how much you are willing to spend - ps tell us its important as we can't help without an idea of how much

2) Work out why you need a new lens. Do you want to photograph something that you can't with your current len - do you want to get a better lens to replace your current one. Once you know that you can start to work out which lenses you want.

Got it. Thanks.

Here's a few websites to get you started. No particular order, but I usually go to photozone.de first.

photozone.de
pixel-peeper
thomhogan
fredmiranda
kenrockwell
photodo
dpreview

There's a ton on them. Google also works.

Listing a purpose and a budget will give more feedback here. Also, are you looking for primes or zooms?

Ignore comments that have nothing to do with your question and haven't been given any thought behind them. There's is quite a bit of knowledge that can be found on TPF from its membership. The search function is another avenue at your disposal.

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely check out those sites. To answer your questions I am looking for a replacement for my primary lens (the kit 15-55 lens). My budget is $300-$600. I am looking for a lens that will allow me to take photos in lower light conditions and produce higher quality pictures than my current lens. I will do some research on the sites you provided, but if anyone has anything in mind that fits my specs and budget, please let me know. Thanks.

Basically, you are talking about a consumer grade lens. My recommendations far exceed your budget. Hopefully someone will chip in with some good advice for you. Good luck.

I have been looking through some reviews and have heard a lot of good things about the Nikon 18-200 VR lens as an all purpose lens. What do you all think of this lens? Anyone have it and use it frequently? It seems it can be had for around $650 putting it near the upper end of my price range. Are there any comparable alternatives?

I have been happy with the Nikon 18-200 as my primary lens. I've shot everything from the full moon to portraits with very good results. However, if you are looking for FAST, this lens has max aperature of 3.5 - and that's at 18mm.
For fast, look at the Nikon 1.4 50mm.
On another note, if you are really disappointed with the quality of your work, it's probably not due to the quality of your Nikon lens. To use another analogy, I know plenty of golfers who try to buy a better swing with the newest equipment - better to spend the $$$ on lessons. Maybe it's time for some serious photo classes at a university?
Regards,
doug

Thanks Doug. I don't think I ever mentioned being disappointed with the quality of my work. I have been taking some good quality photos with a D50 and the kit lens for around 2 years. But thanks for the lesson on skill versus equipment. You are welcome to take a look at one of my recent photos and see if you disagree.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=14227393

You could pick up a a 50 f/1.8 and, then choose another zoom lens for what you want to spend. The 50mm is $105 at B&H. Then you could get say a 70-300mm VR for like $480 as a general walking around lense. Not the greatest for low light but, if you had the 50 it is.

Since you also want a close up shots (macro) maybe it is worth while to look at tamron 17-50. Otherwise what others have said.

Happy searching.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This information is very helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back