Best of the Best?

I have three complete systems, FF (IDs), APS-C (Fuji's) and MFT (OMD-EM1). In my mind there isn't any question, go Fuji. MFT has a much wider selection of glass, but Fujinon is continuously adding new stuff. For travel a XT1 (sans grip) or an E2. All of Fujinon's FX lenses are exceptionally sharp ... at a minimum 'L' sharp. The X-Pro1 build quality feels like a Nikon F and the lenses feel like the old Nikkor, all metal lenses. If you want to go simple, pick up a X100T, one camera ... one lens. You'll find that a fixed lens camera is actually quite liberating and really gets your photographic juices flowing.

Gary
Fuji Fanboy

_GA17344.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_GA11077-X2.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_S456109.jpg

X-Pro1 - ISO 3200

DSCF2680-X3.jpg

XT1 w/ 10-24 @ 10mm, ISO 400

Gary, that's some gorgeous work you posted in this thread.

I downsized my full-frame Canon gear last year and switched to Fuji. I'm very very pleased with Fuji overall. Excellent glass and in the end that's the most important factor. I no longer have to leave a little crop room so I can cut off the weak corners from the Canon zooms.

Joe

as much as I'd love the full frame A7r from what I understand it's AF system is incredibly slow...a handicap I don't want. Leaning hard on the Fuji XT1 setup. Awesome images Gary A!
Thank you Trever1t. I don't find my mirrorless AF slow, (EM5, EM1, XE2, XT1), ... but the focus certainly is different. It has taken me a lot of time behind the viewfinder to adjust from a dSLR to mirrorless.

Gary

PS- The XPro1 is slow compared to a dSLR ... any dSLR. It does everything slow. But to my eye, it has one sexy little body ... so I've adjusted the slow. The XP1 needs to be shot like an old film SLR, where you really need to think out your photos and shoot with an anticipatory methodology rather than the reactive shooting style of a dSLR. Shooting with the XP1 has helped me go back to my photographic roots and relearn previous skills. By applied more thought to my photos I'm getting better stuff ... less keepers, but the keepers I capture are better than with my reactionary shooting style of a dSLR. But, in a fast paced environment, the XP1 sucks ... there is nothing like an advanced dSLR for very fast action and tracking. But for most hobbyists, the AF on the upper level of mirrorless is more than sufficient, but one has to climb that mirrorless learning curve.

G

I have three complete systems, FF (IDs), APS-C (Fuji's) and MFT (OMD-EM1). In my mind there isn't any question, go Fuji. MFT has a much wider selection of glass, but Fujinon is continuously adding new stuff. For travel a XT1 (sans grip) or an E2. All of Fujinon's FX lenses are exceptionally sharp ... at a minimum 'L' sharp. The X-Pro1 build quality feels like a Nikon F and the lenses feel like the old Nikkor, all metal lenses. If you want to go simple, pick up a X100T, one camera ... one lens. You'll find that a fixed lens camera is actually quite liberating and really gets your photographic juices flowing.

Gary
Fuji Fanboy

_GA17344.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_GA11077-X2.jpg

XT1 - ISO 3200

_S456109.jpg

X-Pro1 - ISO 3200

DSCF2680-X3.jpg

XT1 w/ 10-24 @ 10mm, ISO 400

Gary, that's some gorgeous work you posted in this thread.
Thank you Joe.

I second X-T1, above all that has been written, it is fun to use. And I guess you will be surprised how little , if any IQ you will have lost. :friendly_wink:. FUJI XF lenses are wonderful.

Fuji or Panasonic.
Any other contenders?

I'm wanting a travel camera that is more portable WITHOUT sacrificing stillframe quality too much. Keep in mind my primary is a D800.

Wants:
-Excellent quality & clarity.
-Choices for glass
-Great low iso capabilty

Kinda favoring the Fuji for it's larger sensor.

What and leave the D800 at home?!?!?

I take my D800 every where.

Fuji or Panasonic.
Any other contenders?

I'm wanting a travel camera that is more portable WITHOUT sacrificing stillframe quality too much. Keep in mind my primary is a D800.

Wants:
-Excellent quality & clarity.
-Choices for glass
-Great low iso capabilty

Kinda favoring the Fuji for it's larger sensor.

What and leave the D800 at home?!?!?

I take my D800 every where.
I used to take my 1D's everywhere. For what I shoot and how I shoot, the differences between my 1D's and Fuji's is usually insignificant. So ... et al.

Most reactions

Back