best place to buy a canon body?

halfuncle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to have some feedback before making a purchase, I am planning to get a canon body at bestbuy because they price match some stores and also have a 12 month credit card play plan.

So where is the best place to get a dslr brand new for the best price?
(also I am in college so if you know any places that offer discounts to people in school please let me know; best buy offers no discounts for that)

What are you looking to buy? If you're short on cash, I'd highly recommend buying a used or refurbished unit rather than taking a payment plan out for it.

What are you looking to buy? If you're short on cash, I'd highly recommend buying a used or refurbished unit rather than taking a payment plan out for it.
looking for a canon 6d, anything around 1300

looking for a canon 6d, anything around 1300

Is that a total budget, or just for the camera body? Also, do you own Canon full-frame lenses already?

If your budget is tight, there might be some better options if you don't own Canon glass yet.

just for the body but i do have a full frames lense

From your other thread.
I was doing some research before getting a canon body and was thinking witch one is the best to get.
seems like 6d is out dated but the best in my price range because its full frame

trying to spend around 1300
I was thinking about getting
1) canon 6D
2) canon 7D mark ii
3) canon 80d
4) anything you prefer?

My answer from the other thread.
What do you like to shoot?
What lenses do you have?
You have a wide range of cameras there. Nobody could intelligently give you an answer without a bit more info as to what gear you currently have and expected type of photography.

mainly portraits and skateboarding, but also some landscape
I currently have a canon 1.4 50mm and a rokinon 8mm 3.5

Okay for skateboarding I would lean heavily towards the 80D. The 7Dmk2 would be excellent as well but the 80D has a newer sensor.
For portraits and landscape I'll let others chime in since I have almost no landscape experience have only done portraits with a 7Dmk2.

Do you not think a canon 6d would be a good choice?
I heard full frame makes a huge difference

Okay for skateboarding I would lean heavily towards the 80D. The 7Dmk2 would be excellent as well but the 80D has a newer sensor.
For portraits and landscape I'll let others chime in since I have almost no landscape experience have only done portraits with a 7Dmk2.

The 6D would be the worst choice for skateboarding but for portrait and landscape I have a feeling it would be a fair choice. Now having said that what do you shoot most?
portraits/landscape 50% or more....likely the 6D
skateboarding or mild action 50% or more 80D
7Dmk2 is really not the right tool for either.

The 6D would be the worst choice for skateboarding but for portrait and landscape I have a feeling it would be a fair choice. Now having said that what do you shoot most?
portraits/landscape 50% or more....likely the 6D
skateboarding or mild action 50% or more 80D
7Dmk2 is really not the right tool for either.

could you explain why the 6d would not be good/better for skateboarding

I've bought the last 3 of 5 camera bodies new from Best Buy on their 12 or 18 month no interest plan. You'll want to pay it off within that timeframe other wise you get whacked with built up interest for the entire amount even if you owe a fraction of it.

You being a college student this also would be good because you can build up your credit worthiness. Just pay it off in time.

Can't help you on the body but I shoot Nikon full frame and crop.

Back to your original question... at the Canon website you can get "refurbished" cameras at a fairly decent discount and that typically is about the best price you'll find. A "refurb" isn't technically "new" because you're not the first consumer to open the box... but usually these are camera that were returned for whatever reason (usually the buyer changed their mind) and didn't have anything wrong with them at all. Regardless, everything sold as a refurbished camera is fully check out, repacked, and includes the same warranty that "new" cameras get. Mostly that just means you get a better price.

Here's the link to the refurbished section: Canon Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras | Canon Online Store

As for the cameras.

A "full frame" body naturally has a wider angle of view when using the same lens but this changes some dynamics about how far away you'll stand from a subject to compose a shot, etc. and it has a noticeable impact on things such as the depth of field. It's easier to create a blurred background with a full frame camera than it is with a crop-frame camera (assuming the same lens is used).

The APS-C sensor cameras have a 1.6x crop factor. That means if you take the diagonal measure of the full frame sensor and divide by the diagonal measure of the crop frame camera you'll notice that it divides in 1.6 times. It turns out that math carries through into the focal ratios. If you compose a shot of a subject at f/4 using a full frame camera and compose the same shot with the same lens and the same cropping using an APS-C camera you'll find that to get the blur to work out, the crop camera would need to shoot with a focal ratio which is 1.6x lower than the full-frame camera (you would need to be able to shoot at f/2.5 to get an equivalent looking shot).

Full-frame cameras tend to be preferred for portraits and also there's a side-effect to sensor technology that also tends to mean that full frame sensors exhibit less noise when shooting at high ISO (assuming both cameras are using sensors with similar technology).

The 6D is designed to be an "entry level" full frame body camera. Full frame cameras tend to be expensive... almost always $2500 or more. The 6D provides a much lower-cost entry into the market, but the camera is simpler in other ways. It uses a rather simple 11 point focus system and it doesn't have a particularly fast shutter speed. This makes the camera less desirable for "action" photography.

The 80D is a newer generation of camera (so it has that on it's side) and it's especially well-suited to video. But it has a noticeably better focus system and a faster shutter speed. It's intended to be a mid-tier camera... a bit above the entry-level category but not quite into the pro category. The 7D Mk II, on the other hand, is really more of a pro-level camera with emphasis on use ability for action photography and use in the field. It's physically larger and heavier. It has a magnesium alloy (lightweight metal) body instead of polycarbonate (plastic). It has weather sealing. It has a substantially better focusing system. The list of benefits goes on... but mostly it's features tend to be optimized toward action photography.

Back to your original question... at the Canon website you can get "refurbished" cameras at a fairly decent discount and that typically is about the best price you'll find. A "refurb" isn't technically "new" because you're not the first consumer to open the box... but usually these are camera that were returned for whatever reason (usually the buyer changed their mind) and didn't have anything wrong with them at all. Regardless, everything sold as a refurbished camera is fully check out, repacked, and includes the same warranty that "new" cameras get. Mostly that just means you get a better price.

Here's the link to the refurbished section: Canon Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras | Canon Online Store

As for the cameras.

A "full frame" body naturally has a wider angle of view when using the same lens but this changes some dynamics about how far away you'll stand from a subject to compose a shot, etc. and it has a noticeable impact on things such as the depth of field. It's easier to create a blurred background with a full frame camera than it is with a crop-frame camera (assuming the same lens is used).

The APS-C sensor cameras have a 1.6x crop factor. That means if you take the diagonal measure of the full frame sensor and divide by the diagonal measure of the crop frame camera you'll notice that it divides in 1.6 times. It turns out that math carries through into the focal ratios. If you compose a shot of a subject at f/4 using a full frame camera and compose the same shot with the same lens and the same cropping using an APS-C camera you'll find that to get the blur to work out, the crop camera would need to shoot with a focal ratio which is 1.6x lower than the full-frame camera (you would need to be able to shoot at f/2.5 to get an equivalent looking shot).

Full-frame cameras tend to be preferred for portraits and also there's a side-effect to sensor technology that also tends to mean that full frame sensors exhibit less noise when shooting at high ISO (assuming both cameras are using sensors with similar technology).

The 6D is designed to be an "entry level" full frame body camera. Full frame cameras tend to be expensive... almost always $2500 or more. The 6D provides a much lower-cost entry into the market, but the camera is simpler in other ways. It uses a rather simple 11 point focus system and it doesn't have a particularly fast shutter speed. This makes the camera less desirable for "action" photography.

The 80D is a newer generation of camera (so it has that on it's side) and it's especially well-suited to video. But it has a noticeably better focus system and a faster shutter speed. It's intended to be a mid-tier camera... a bit above the entry-level category but not quite into the pro category. The 7D Mk II, on the other hand, is really more of a pro-level camera with emphasis on use ability for action photography and use in the field. It's physically larger and heavier. It has a magnesium alloy (lightweight metal) body instead of polycarbonate (plastic). It has weather sealing. It has a substantially better focusing system. The list of benefits goes on... but mostly it's features tend to be optimized toward action photography.

hey man, I really appreciate you taking your time to inform me about all this stuff.

Right now I'm deciding between the 6D and the 7D ii.
For skateboarding frames per second doesn't matter at all because I personally don't like holding down the shutter.
(its like saying id rather use a sniper than an automatic weapon)
and also 1/500-1/600 is the highest shutter speed I would need.
Also I use 8mm for skateboarding so I tend to never use the auto focus.

So basically right now I am thinking either get the 6D for the full frames, or get the 7D ii because it is a newer camera.
I dont know to much about cameras but They both have the same mega pixels (i think XD)

Also I dont want to get the 80D because I don't think it is as cool as the 6D, all the vloggers on youtube use it and hearing that is a good vlogging camera makes me cringe. Well thats my opinion but that takes the 80D out of the picture for me haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back