Best place to buy camera equipment with monthly payment option?

I will probably pay it off in a year. The extra 2 years is just a buffer zone.
Anyway back to bestbuy.. it looks like their prices are higher than most places. They do price match but only to other competitors (not online stores). The 5D is listed $200 more than B&H and I am pretty sure they wont match B&H. So I am looking around if Sams club and Costo have the products. They will certainly price match that. All of the lenses are more expensive too.

How about... save up the money. What a concept, huh?
This is how I feel. I don't understand people always asking "how can I afford this?" "how can I finance this?" etc. If you actually have a job, it isn't that hard. You aren't buying a mansion. It's a $2000 camera. Put money in the bank after you get your paycheck and you will have all the money saved in a few weeks. It really isn't that hard...unless you don't have a job.

I am pretty sure they wont match B&H.

Call B&H to see if it's the same price in their physical store. If it is I don't see why Best Buy wouldn't match it.

Because their physical store is in NJ.

Look.. this is getting really annoying. I am a 32 yo licensed structural engineer. NO CC debt and I have paid off my tuition. I am a big boy. My wife and I have a system. We each have a monthly allowance where we can spend it on whatever we want. This way I wont argue with her about spending over $100 over a haircut. And she wont argue with me for spending it on Camera equipment or car parts. Yes I can save up my allowance for a year and buy it then. But why not get it now with 0 financing? There is my reason. I know it sounds silly that a 32 yo have an allowance, but hey... it works! It is a lot less arguing between the two of us. I hope you respect my decision and you guys stop posting about my financial situation. I posted this thread to ask if you know a store that will finance it. And it came by a surprise that there is with 0 financing for 3 years! That is unbelievable.

ritz does a 9 months same as cash option, but yeah if you're late or go past 9 months the interest is astronomical, 29% sounds about right.

OH.. I meant it is not in the same state as me so they cant price match it. But I did find other store that sells it the same price and B&H. They will match that.

Do you know if BB does price match for items that have to be shipped from their warehouse? I dont think they keep the 5D stocked in their stores.

Best place to buy camera equipment with monthly payment option?
It is ill conceived to finance a hobby. If you can't pay cash or pay the credit card off in the same billing cycle, I would reconsider and save until you can.

Absolutely the best advice.

Go into debt for a house & MAYBE a car only.

and Education.

I agree.. don't do it. Dumb idea and a very bad habit to start.

Best Buy's deal is much like in store credit cards. It is not interest free!!!! IT IS INTEREST DEFERRED! They are banking you will miss at least 1 payment through the term (3 years). One missed payment (even 1 minute late after EOB of that cycle), you get charged for all interest deferred + penalty + an obscene interest rate for the remainder. Someone once told me the rate of missed payment is something on the order of 50-60%. Man.. banks are cashing in big time.

Granted.. i've taken advantage of these deals on large NECESSARY purchases like appliances, furniture, etc.. I make sure my bank sets up auto payment and I generally pay at least 1/2 of that up front. I also will admit using home equity line of credit once to fund the last $1000 needed for my M8 (it was available 3 months ahead of what I had plan via a waiting list). Then again, that was paid off within 3 months with less than 5% interest with 16 day grace period AND no deferred interest crap to worry.

Save up.. don't do it.

usayit.. thanks for really explaining why. I will look in to it. I will definitely read through all the rules. It is not a done deal. I have talked about it my wife and she doesnt mind if I do it. They say the minimum is $10 or 1% of the debt. So lets say i spend $3500. The minimum is $35. So lets say for some odd reason I forgot about the first payment. What do you think they will do? I thought they will just do a penalty like maybe $30 or something but you made it sound like a percentage of the whole debt?

It is ill conceived to finance a hobby. If you can't pay cash or pay the credit card off in the same billing cycle, I would reconsider and save until you can.

Absolutely the best advice.

Go into debt for a house & MAYBE a car only.

and Education.

I agree.. don't do it. Dumb idea and a very bad habit to start.

Best Buy's deal is much like in store credit cards. It is not interest free!!!! IT IS INTEREST DEFERRED! They are banking you will miss at least 1 payment through the term (3 years). One missed payment (even 1 minute late after EOB of that cycle), you get charged for all interest deferred + penalty + an obscene interest rate for the remainder. Someone once told me the rate of missed payment is something on the order of 50-60%. Man.. banks are cashing in big time.

Granted.. i've taken advantage of these deals on large NECESSARY purchases like appliances, furniture, etc.. I make sure my bank sets up auto payment and I generally pay at least 1/2 of that up front. I also will admit using home equity line of credit once to fund the last $1000 needed for my M8 (it was available 3 months ahead of what I had plan via a waiting list). Then again, that was paid off within 3 months with less than 5% interest with 16 day grace period AND no deferred interest crap to worry.

Save up.. don't do it.

FFS.

The guy is set on a 5D mk ii, let him get it.

Schwetty is as he says 32,
infact schwetty, why bother listening to them? if you are set on it, just get it :l

You are in a stable job / income, the only possible thing I see that could mess it up is if you lost your job or something.

HSBC which is actually the financial institution that underwrites BestBuy CC, Circuit City, and a handful of others have had a history of being under fire for misleading customers of their so called "interest free" statements. If you do search you'll find many complaints. I read somewhere that HSBC representatives were in court stating that "Interest free" is not a legal term and can be defined in any manner. In fact, it is defined in the agreement (which so few actually read fully)... In this case, it is "interest free" meaning... during the term you don't have to pay interest but it doesn't mean that you are not being charged interest. The interest is deferred only if certain obligations are met. If you don't meet obligations, the deal is off and they back charge you for the deferred interest in its entirety. BB CC isn't the only card that does this... almost all in-store CC's I have ever read the fine print on does this. The most recent one I have discovered is Sleepy's (sells mattresses). As soon as I discovered that fine print on my so called 24 month agreement, I paid it off in the next month.

BBY - HSBC Best Buy Credit Card DEFERRED INTEREST CHARGE... - Best Buy Forums

Best Buy Deferred Payment Credit Card Problem

I just did a quick google and there are dozens of links.

Yes... you are 30+ and more than capable of making your own decision. I respect that. I figure if the information is available there is no reason not to share it. Sharing is what we do here. Risky financial decisions is NOT only a problem for the young.... people of all sorts of backgrounds make these mistakes. Banks simply are doing what they do best.. prey on the typical consumer.

Most reactions

Back