Best polarizer

bill04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

What do you recommend... a circular that fits my sigma 10-20, and is good for wide angle, and can be used with a step-down ring for my 18-200VR? I'd like to spend ~$100. I don't know the quality difference between the premium brands.

Funny you should ask this, I was just reading this on Ken Rockwell's page:

Avoid polarizers on wide-angle lenses

You'll get weird effects with a polarizer on any ultra-wide lens. Linear and circular polarizers give the same weird results on skies.

The weird results on ultra-wide lenses are because the polarization of the sky varies from one end of the sky to the other. Polarization of the sky is maximum at 90 degrees from the sun, and none at the sun and 180 degrees from it. This is no issue with a tele lens, however with a super wide you are sweeping such a broad expanse that the polarizing effect will vary greatly across the sky. You often get a dark area in the sky, which usually looks nasty. I rarely use polarizers with ultra wide lenses.

If your polarizer is thick (as many are due to the rotating mount) you may be getting mechanical vignetting in the corners, too.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

He doesn't specify what he classifies as a wide angle lens, but I'd assume 10mm is a no-no?

Hey,

What do you recommend... a circular that fits my sigma 10-20, and is good for wide angle, and can be used with a step-down ring for my 18-200VR? I'd like to spend ~$100. I don't know the quality difference between the premium brands.

The best available is the Hoya "Pro-1" series. As the others have indicated, a polarizer is not a good idea for wide angle (10-20mm). Also, using a step-down ring will prevent you from attaching a lens hood, especially important with any filter because the glass is flat (compared with the curved surface of a lens).

The best available is the Hoya "Pro-1" series. As the others have indicated, a polarizer is not a good idea for wide angle (10-20mm). Also, using a step-down ring will prevent you from attaching a lens hood, especially important with any filter because the glass is flat (compared with the curved surface of a lens).

So if I were to use a polarizer on an 18-55mm at 18mm, would this be a bad idea? Or should I try out different focal lengths and see at which point I eliminate the black patches in the sky? It's a bit of a pain, seeing as you often want wide angle on landscape.

Also, what do you mean by it preventing you from attaching a lens hood, is a lens hood important? What does this have in relation to flat filters/curved glass?

Thanks.

Want a good pola, get a B+W Circular Pola. Made with Schneider glass, some of the best available.

If you rely on Rockwell for all your information, you will miss out on much, much more that is out there and valid *read: factual*.

After much research, I got this B+W Slim CPL for my 12-24mm. Get the slim for wide angle lenses. No vignetting that I have noticed. Superb filter IMO.

Funny you should ask this, I was just reading this on Ken Rockwell's page:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

He doesn't specify what he classifies as a wide angle lens, but I'd assume 10mm is a no-no?

A high quality polarizing filter can be used on an Ultra Wide lens with some care. I have used my Heliopan Kaeseman Circular Polarizing filteron a Canon 10-22 at 10mm with satisfying results. It does however take a lot of work to keep from getting that varying blue color to the sky. Not something I would recommend, but it can be done.

What makes that BW different than the $90 version?

There is more to a polarizing filter than there is to most other filters. The quality of the polarizing foil is most important - it should have a dramatic reduction of light in one polarization direction, and little reduction of light polarized at 90 degrees to that, and those effects need to be even across the spectrum.

Because this type of polarizing filter is a lamination of glass and polarizing foil, the lamination process needs to be of high quality both optically and mechanically. There is also a difference in the nature and quality of the coating - for example B+W MRC (multi resistant coating) is a good, durable multicoating process.

B+W have a few grades of filter. Kaesemann MRC is probably the best. As far as I know they use Schott glass.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back