Best portrait lens?

just wondering... does the studio photographer you work with shoot on a 5D? I mean its a good camera and all but if i was professional id look for something a lil fancier, i dont think ive seen many pros using cannons that dont have some sort of camera from the 1D range.

just wondering... does the studio photographer you work with shoot on a 5D? I mean its a good camera and all but if i was professional id look for something a lil fancier, i dont think ive seen many pros using cannons that dont have some sort of camera from the 1D range.

canon 5D is a fantastic camera, most certainly on the Pro level of cameras, I know many top wedding photographers ($10k+ p.e.) who shoot with 5Ds, you get FF, smaller/ lighter, less expensive than a large 1 series. Studio work doesnt need the weather sealing as its indoors, nor does it need the high fps typical with the 1 series.

canon 5D is a fantastic camera, most certainly on the Pro level of cameras, I know many top wedding photographers ($10k+ p.e.) who shoot with 5Ds, you get FF, smaller/ lighter, less expensive than a large 1 series. Studio work doesnt need the weather sealing as its indoors, nor does it need the high fps typical with the 1 series.
Yup, 5D is a great camera, esp. for weddings and studio work.

btm line is that if you don't know what lens you need we can't tell you any better.

what focal range do you work in the most? look though your photos, how big is your studio, that might prevent you from using certain lenses in studio.

i use the 85 1.8 quite a bit, but if i were you i would definitely keep a 70-200 in mind for the future.

paint your own backdrop and spend more on a lens.

So, Should I just get both? I use the xti more.. I only use the 5d if I'm in the studio and no one else is using it..

The Sigma 105mm comes in a Canon mount and should work on both your lenses. With zooms being as good as they are today, I also feel that you should not exclude a 70-200 F/2.8 from your considerations, but $ goes up some, especially with some of the better lenses.

Definately something to consider. Next step, if I may suggest is to go to a place that has one in stock and try it out a few times to see if it "fits" with your needs.

Well ive used it a few times. The only thing I don't like is I have to get really close to them for a close up.

Most reactions

Back