best portrait lenses Nikon

MegaColor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
whats is the best portrait lenses for Nikon? Also whats is the best landscape lenses? Thanks!!!

best is subjective.
For portraits, I like mine 28-105 (image from Ken Rockwell)
28105.jpg

Not big on landscapes but was pretty contempt with 17-35
nikon_17_35_2_8.jpg

lol @ contempt

If you're using a camera with a crop sensor (I'm guessing you are since you are asking), I'd get a 50mm f/1.4 for portraits.

I just got a 17-50mm lens, and I'm quite happy with how wide it is for landscapes, but you might want something wider.

not content?

well considering the lens was burrowed, perhaps the contempt came from having to dig it back out. *shrug*

Please don't high jack this thread.

It's a pretty good thread to hijack. I mean, there are a billion threads regarding this very subject that you could have found, had you invested 30 seconds in doing research. And that's just on this site. There are a plethora of other sites that would offer great information on the subject.

The most interesting thing in this thread is the misuse of the English language by IgsEMT and yourself. By "high jacking" this thread, we're probably doing people a favor.

Even so, you've got 2 good suggestions on what lens to try. If you aren't ready to buy something, rent a lens and try it out for a week.

Nikon 's best portrait lenses have excellent bokeh, and the appropriate lengths to prevent excessive distortion of facial and body features, meaning--no wide-angles make the grade,and no classic normal lenses make the grade either. Nikon's commonly accepted "best portrait lenses" are typically considered to be the 85mm 1.4 AF-D, the 105mm f/2 AF-D Defocus Control, the 135 f/2 AF-D Defocus control, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR (the original version,since the new one has yet to truly earn its rep), and the 200mm f/2 AF-S VR-G. Those five are probably Nikon's best portraiture lenses. Those are the best, then there are "the rest".

Some of "the rest" are older lenses like the old 85mm 1.8 H-series, which is long out of production, but will work unmodified (it is a pre-AI lens from the 1960's) on a baby Nikon like a D40, D60,D3000, or D5000. The old 70-150mm f/3.5 Series E is actually a pretty decent lens for portraiture, with a very useful focal length range and an affordable price.

It's a pretty good thread to hijack. I mean, there are a billion threads regarding this very subject that you could have found, had you invested 30 seconds in doing research. And that's just on this site. There are a plethora of other sites that would offer great information on the subject.

The most interesting thing in this thread is the misuse of the English language by IgsEMT and yourself. By "high jacking" this thread, we're probably doing people a favor.

Even so, you've got 2 good suggestions on what lens to try. If you aren't ready to buy something, rent a lens and try it out for a week.

Thanks man but you don't have to be such an ass all the time.

14-24, because it's just big enough to really annoy your subject when you do a headshot.

I suggest the Nikon AF-X 10-400mm f/.95

what do u guys think about the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for Nikon?

Most reactions

Back