Best PP program for the money?

Buy an older version of Photoshop or Elements on eBay. See if you like it then pay the "modest" upgrade.
I use Lightroom first then into Photoshop (then if needed; Noise Ninja and w/Portraiture plug-ins.)
Try everything else but you'll end up at the industry standard: Photoshop. :p

Are you a student or faculty anywhere with valid ID? If so, Photoshop CS4 extended is only $199 and Lightroom 2 is $99 --outstanding value. If not, they're pretty steep.
Does that only apply to students in college? If so then I'm not quite there yet. And what about NX2 is that one any good. And i will look into some of those others. Just i got the trial of cs4 and it just looks so hard when you just look at it as a whole.

It's for K-12 as well ... here's the link:

Adobe.com Site Requirements

I use PaintShop Pro X2 Ultimate, it's perfect for my needs. You can buy it for 100$ at Best Buy, or for 50$ on Amazon. I would definetly recommend this for a beginner into photo editing.

I recently bought pse7...and found books, tutorials,youtube etc.teaching how to use the software,so availability of resources may add to the decision

Drawbacks of GIMP?
I used to have PS7. I used it for years till my computer and disks "dissapeared". I started using Gimp as stand in till I could afford a new copy of PS. I'm still using it and probably won't buy PS because Gimp does everything I need it to do and more. My biggest gripe with it is that it will occasionally freeze up or crash. But so does PS. I definitely recommend Gimp.

Are you a student or faculty anywhere with valid ID? If so, Photoshop CS4 extended is only $199 and Lightroom 2 is $99 --outstanding value. If not, they're pretty steep.
ya BUT isnt that only a 1 year license? that will say "Student Edition" all over it? my college offers that same deal too.. but I dont want to spend $200 on it for it to stop working after a year

ya BUT isnt that only a 1 year license? that will say "Student Edition" all over it? my college offers that same deal too.. but I dont want to spend $200 on it for it to stop working after a year
No. It doesn't go inactive after a year and none of the output from the program say's student edition. The box it comes in does have Student Edition printed on it.

But the use license doesn't allow commercial use. If someone with a student version later upgrades to the newest non-student release level they will get the same discount as someone who paid full price and no longer be restricted from commercial use.

How about GIMP, which is free.

I second this. I LOVE Gimp and would use it over the more expensive PP programs any day.
What RAW converters can be used with GIMP? Can they be plugged-in?

I think I read that GIMP has finally gotten the capability to process images with a 16-bit color depth.

When do you think GIMP will be able to support the 32-bit color depth that Photoshop supports on 64-bit machines?

Go for PS Elements 6, it's a bit cheaper than 7 and the difference is barely recognisable (I think they added one Smart tool), whereas the difference between 5 and 6 is a lot bigger.

What RAW converters can be used with GIMP? Can they be plugged-in?

I think I read that GIMP has finally gotten the capability to process images with a 16-bit color depth.

When do you think GIMP will be able to support the 32-bit color depth that Photoshop supports on 64-bit machines?

IDK about the color depth, but UFRaw plugs into it. IIRC, it works with both Canon RAW (whatever it's called) and Nikon NEF. I know for sure it works with NEFs.

Does that only apply to students in college? If so then I'm not quite there yet. And what about NX2 is that one any good. And i will look into some of those others. Just i got the trial of cs4 and it just looks so hard when you just look at it as a whole.

I remember another thread on here where a lady purchased cs4 extended for the student price for her child in 4th grade. look on adobes website for the details but if u know someone in school have them purchase it for u. CS4 is the "indusrty standard" and if it scares u at first glance try out some free lessons at Lynda.com

I have to agree with Gimp...my Uncle has his Masters in Art..he's a wonderful photographer and sculpture artist and he is also a teacher....he knows that students don't always have the money to run out and buy photoshop so he has them all download Gimp...right now I am on a one month CS4 trial because I wanted to see what more I could possibly do with Photoshop. Gimp has the basics and its great because its free. I do love some of the CS4 things like surface blur which is invaluable. I think I will be purchasing Photoshop Elements when its all said and done though because I dont have the $$$. Gimp I will always keep on my computer though for when I need it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back