Best settings to use with sun and snow

benaccent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im posting this for one of our members (Tommi P) who has just called me from the top of a spanish mountain. any help would be greatly recieved.

Could anyone recomend some good settings to use for shooting skiers and snow boarders on a mountain. some shots will be taken towards the sun also.

Don't you love technology in these cases? Your friends in the snow in Spain but can get tips from the world via a mobile phone and friend with internet access. Cool

Sorry I haven't got any tips for you and thats when it a fails apart!

Snow will cause the camera to underexpose the image...giving you grey looking snow. To adjust for this...you (he) needs to add exposure (positive exposure compensation). Just how much to add will depend on the scene and his metering technique. I'd start with at least one stop of exposure compensation.

To get white snow, he should meter a patch of snow (in the sun), and expose at least 1 stop over (to retain some detail in the snow), or 2 stops even, to get bright white snow.

I would also use a polarizer to cut down the reflections on the snow, and a lens hood is advisable to reduce flaring.

Thanks for the advice, i will let him know. Hopfully he will be able to get some great shots for us all to see

Most reactions

Back