Best Sources for Used Photographic Equipment

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by flyinglentris, Dec 14, 2017.

1. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is often possible to pick up equipment in excellent equipment that is used or refurbished. It isn't easy trusting what is promoted over the web. But experience from people who typically obtain much of their equipment from such sources can possibly help point to good reliable and trust-worthy sources.

Please share your experiences and the whys for general benefit of all forum members.

Thanks

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have purchased used and/or refurbished equipment from Cameta, Adorama, B&H, Keh and direct from Nikon outlet. All are trustworthy and reliable in my experience. No issues with faulty equipment although once I had to return a lens when a Canon mount was sent instead of the requested Nikon mount.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    2nd the above, except I've never had to return anything.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have bought a lot of used stuff from Pro Photo Supply in Portland, Oregon.

5. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I’ve gotten used stuff from multiple sources.

Good sources I’ve used: BH, Adorama, Cameta, Allen’s Camera, eBay (as long as you’re responsible and choose your items carefully).

Bad: MPB

6. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Adorama (one lens from the store in NYC), KEH (three lenses via the web) and Henry's (one film body via ebay). Henry's cost of shipping was high, because they are Canadian, but I've had no issues with any of them.

7. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

B&H if the price is right but I usually buy my used gear from eBay because the used prices is more within my budget. As long as you are careful on eBay and only buy from sellers who have a 100% positive feedback with a decent feedback score, you should have zero problems buying a lens or camera.

For example, I bought the 20 1.8G on eBay for $600 used in like new condition with the hood, caps and box. B&H wanted $730 used for the same lens without the hood and box. Only $70 less than cost of a new one. Made no sense to me.

I bought the 16-35 f/4 VR from B&H for around $800 and it was mint condition with box, caps and hood. It was barely used. Most people on eBay were selling them for $900-950 at the time. So B&H was better.

I bought my 70-200 f/4 VR on eBay for $980 with box, hood and tripod collar and it was in like new condition. B&H at the time wanted $1100 for the lens without the box and hood. The tripod collar is an optional accessory you have to buy separately. I was lucky enough to find one on eBay which included it! Win/win even though I don't use it lol.

There are good deals to be found, you really just gotta do your research when looking to buy something used. Most of the time, it pays to wait. That's why I save searches on eBay for certain lenses I have interest in and when I see a good deal, I might jump on it...if I have the funds available for it lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  8. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yesterday, I received my first used gear, a Canon battery grip BG-E6, from KEH. They said it was in Excellent condition and it came in like new, minus the instruction sheet and anything else that might have originally been in the box at a good price. I am happy with this.

I ordered some stuff from Adorama and as of now they have been a tragically horrible experience that has me out $702.25. They cancelled my order from their verification department because I used a PayPal prepaid card (which I do routinely to limit my exposure to internet theft) and claimed that the order was cancelled because 1) I had not lived at my current address for long and 2) that the prepaid card could not be verified with the bank. They stripped $702.25 off the card and it is proving impossible to get it back. I have gone from simply surprised and bewildered to outright angry and on the edge of litigation. Every time I call to talk to somebody at Adorama, I get one more run-around. Their staff, all of them, appear to be incompetents or worse, criminals. They suggested that I was a perpetrator of a fraudulent order and instead, they come out stinking like criminals. I will never shop Adorama again. I am not going to be out $702.25.

Beware of Adorama.

9. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem with Adorama. I've bought many times from them and never had a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    your issue is with PayPal, not Adorama. when the authorization goes away, the funds will return.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, the issue is with Adorama. PayPal must wait for verification from them to release the "Pending" order. And Adorama not only cancelled my order making me out to be fraudulent, but is sitting on releasing the "Pending" order.

12. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

PayPal is very good about protecting consumers money. The money is on their card.

Call them and they will get your money back to you. They are excellent.