Best Sources for Used Photographic Equipment

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by flyinglentris, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    they aren't sitting on a "pending" order, the authorization has to expire -- it can take up to 8 days. The issue is, paypal removes those funds from your account unclear it posts or returns. It's even weirder with PP CCs. If you used a regular CC -- it would just be a pending charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have already talked to PayPal and they sent me back to Adorama to get them to provide information about the cancellation and release of the "Pending" on their corporate letterhead. They indicated solidly that Adorama had to release the money back to me. They could do nothing. Should I be angry at PayPal too?

3. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    did we just time travel?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I’ve had many dealings with Adorama’s used dept and they have always been great. Frank has been particularly helpful. They’re a well respected company and would not risk their reputation over $700. Sounds to me like you’re caught up in PayPal processes.

For the record, the safest way to buy anything online is with a major credit card. You can easily dispute any false charges. Most have some type of extended warranty protection and some even have price protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Curious why you didn’t just state your problem in your original post instead of asking others for their opinions if you had already had experience with several companies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Excuse me. I said that Paypal told me that Adorama has to send them notice that the pending charges are released. Further, Adorama has at least acknowledged this much. They told me that this would definitely be done by yesterday. Thursday has come and gone and once more, I get the runaround.

You can't stick up for Adorama. They created this mess and have made it worse.

7. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    I just ordered $700 worth of stuff from Adorama. They even sent emails as soon as the package was shipped and even delivered. A+ company. Buy with confidence. Their store in NYC is fun too.

Just searched my email, I've been buying stuff from them since 2009. Including my used 58mm 1.4

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've also ordered a number of things from Adorama as well as B&H, and have never had a problem with either one. In one case, an item was backordered so I cancelled; Adorama gave me an additional store credit "for my inconvenience."

9. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The post was for opinions about sources for used gear and I had no intentions about extolling the Adorama problem. But after talking with them this morning and getting tossed around from verification to customer service and back again, could not hold back my frustrations.

10. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    I have to even wait 1-8 days, when my regular CC has fraud charges on it, for them to post in order to even make a legitimate fraud claim. Wait for the authorization to expire.

11. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I've also ordered a number of things from Adorama and never had a problem. They were actually quite good, fast shipping, great packing.

12. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Another happy Adorama customer here.

Credit card security on the internet is always iffy, and I get that. But I've yet to personally pay for a fraudulent transaction, and American Express has even overnighted me a new card for free when I needed to travel the next day. It seems to me that by trying to reduce your risk you've actually increased it, and it's causing you a larger headache than a fraudulent transaction would.

• Agree Agree x 2