Best starter lighting kit for around $500?

Bokeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
I've been shooting sports for a while, but really want to get into doing some portraiture. I am ready to get a lighting kit to start out.

I was thinking of one of the alien bee "package" deals, but from what I have researched I'll probably need a softbox and light for fill-in. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Hmm i'm in much the same boat while I would love to have a basic studio set up to play with at the moment i'm exploring the possibilities of natural light... afterall it is free... And some of the greats swore by it... take a look at some of Bresson's work.

I also have looked at the Alien Bees lights. They are recommended over and over again as a good beginning lighting set up.

ksmattfish said:
I also have looked at the Alien Bees lights. They are recommended over and over again as a good beginning lighting set up.

Ksmat, I'm sure for lights I want alien bees, but I'm not sure about whether to get softboxes and/or umbrellas, and what else I might want to get. I also am not sure how many alien bees I need. Thanks

Most reactions

Back