Best Studio Lens for Full Body shots?

It was a good debate and from this one thread I have a much better understanding about the crop and FF well done guys lol.

Damn.. I hate to say this... I just want to apologize to solarflare and infidel. After doing an hour of reading after I get back from work I would say the FOV is pretty darn close until your distance is super close. When I did this test, I shot a subject only 3 ft away and the 35mm on crop sensor was way more distorted.

Much appreciated. Optical science is neither simple nor trivial to understand (I learned how ignorant I am by reading Helen's post). You bring to light a lot of practical considerations about how to shoot with a given lens that behoove all of us to learn and understand.

So what is the conclusion?

Is it agreed that 35mm on crop is almost the same as 50mm on FF?

Yes... But not if you are really close like face shot.

How is the 35mm with a crop different from a 50mm on FF up close other than DoF for given f/stop?

How big is your studio.

^^^huge consideration
bigthumb.gif

How is the 35mm with a crop different from a 50mm on FF up close other than DoF for given f/stop?

When you go really close like around 3 ft, the FOV will be very different and you will see more distortion on the 35mm.

When you go really close like around 3 ft, the FOV will be very different and you will see more distortion on the 35mm.

OK I've got my d5100 crop frame with 18-55 and the lens is set to 35mm.....I also have my old Nikon n80 with a 50mm f/1.8. I'm standing about 1.5 ft in front of my wife looking at her with both cameras. Other than the fact that the n80 has a much bigger viewfinder, I see no difference.

This thread has jumped the shark

maybe you are right. I dont even know anymore. I've read and read and I get confused even more. I tried it a while back when I had a crop from close and the photo was pretty different. I wish I can find the darn thread.

My apology. The field of view is still the same. I misread the information. It is just saying the angle of view doesnt change much when your focusing distance gets closer on a lens unless you get really close. To compare the two will be identical. The only difference is the DOF. Forget everything I said.

I have an idea. I will do a test. Very different than any other test. Stay tuned tomorrow night.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back