Best Subminiature?

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wonder what do you all think is the best subminiature camera?

Of course, the logical choice would be Minox, but then what after that?

I've never had a chance to shoot and print from a Minox; the one in my collection is non-functioning.

I've used my Olympus Pen D for a few rolls. It's kind of fun. It shoots 1/2 frames on 35mm.

My favorite 16mm film camera is my Viscawide 16 ST-D. It's a swing lens pano camera; it's like a 16mm Widelux/Noblex/Horizont. It takes pretty good pics (I've been using 16mm Pan-X movie film), and of course, swing lens cameras are such a blast to use. It has two shutter speeds: approx 1/100th and 1/500th sec. And apertures from f/3.5 to f/16. I bulk load the film into cassettes that came with the camera. In it's leather case it's shaped like a brick about 1.75" x 2" x 4.5", so it's pretty small, but it's solid metal so it's heavy.

Since I've discovered MF folders I've pretty much stopped using 35mm. When I print it in the darkroom it seems minature to me.

ksmattfish said:
I've never had a chance to shoot and print from a Minox; the one in my collection is non-functioning.

I've used my Olympus Pen D for a few rolls. It's kind of fun. It shoots 1/2 frames on 35mm.

My favorite 16mm film camera is my Viscawide 16 ST-D. It's a swing lens pano camera; it's like a 16mm Widelux/Noblex/Horizont. It takes pretty good pics (I've been using 16mm Pan-X movie film), and of course, swing lens cameras are such a blast to use.

Yeah, it's amazing how Olympus managed to make such an ultra compact SLR. I've shot a few rolls on one and was very pleased with the results. I also tried Canon's motorized 1/2 frame camera. Motor is actually spring loaded and optics are quite good. One monstruosity that I also tried and was impressed by its lens quality was Universal's Mercury II, a 1/2 frame non RF camera. Probably one of the ugliest around.

I've never done panoramics though. :( They sure sound like fun.

I like the Viscawide because even though it's using 16mm film, since it's a true panoramic frame, it's actually larger than a "pano"-crop taken on 35mm film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back