Best Tripod Head for Pano

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Soda Ant, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Soda Ant

Soda Ant TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd like take some panoramic shots with my DSLR and stitch them together in Photoshop.

I will eventually buy a dedicated pano head such as a Nodal Ninja, but for now I'd like to keep things simple and use a general purpose head. I have a Manfrotto 3221 tripod--what kind of head, 3-way pan head or ball head, is best suited for pano work?

Any recommendations as to model/brand? My budget is around $150-200 max (I'd like to keep it closer to $150) and it needs to support a DSLR and lens weighing around 5 pounds.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    3 way pan head. A ball head is not as good since only the expensive ones allow you to selectivly release pressure in one axis - most when you release pressure on the ball you release it for the whole surface - so there is a big chance that when panning side to side your vertical will also be changing.
    A 2 way pan head will have a panning plate which will be on its own pressure release - so you can release pressure in that axis alone. There are dedicated panning plates as well which would combine well with a ballhead and allow paning, but its a more expensive rout and since your going for dedicated kit get the 3way

As for a model I can't advise - just go for the best you can afford :) Manfrotto heads are a solid investment too

3. Soda Ant

Soda Ant TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    yep that would work - if what you want is a ballhead with pano.
    If your major interest is going to be landscapes, buildings, pano ect type subjects then chances are a 3 way is better/
    but if your just branching out and want something more general and flexable then that looks to be a good choice

5. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit