Best tripod under $150?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for a solid tripod for under $150.

As far as max height adjustment goes, I am 5'10". And the only feature I definitely want is a good quick release system.

Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using an entry level Manfrotto for $80 for 5 years and it's been great.

My suggestion is a used tripod, esp. at under $150. USed Manfrotto leg set most likely. $150 these days has become rather low-priced for anything called "best" in a tripod...but I think their used leg sets could be had for $150 or so,maybe with a decent quick-release plate head in one of their more-basic style heads like their pan-and-tilt or 3-way heads.

Yep, brand name, used.

In that price range I have bought one set of Gitzo legs without a head (figuring on finding a used head at some point), and (later) a Velbon tripod with two heads (P&T and ball). So then all I had to do was mount the ball head on the Gitzo legs and the pan and tilt head on the Velbon legs. The Velbon purchase came with two complete sets of QR bases and a couple of extra plates.

The Gitzo legs are quite heavy, but monster-grade sturdy. I usually don't take them with me, but I will take them on an upcoming family shoot. The Velbon legs are not what you would call "lightweight" by any means, but sort of in the mid-range of weight. I have a light-weight set on my wish list.

The quick-release (QR) mechanisms are somewhat proprietary, so do some research on the interchangeability of those plates. One "standard" that has come to the forefront is "Arca". If you start out with an Arca-compatible QR system, then it will be easier to find compatible attachments in the future. Probably Manfroto as well.

Then you have to decide what kind of head you want. Most used tripods will include a head, but you can be picky in shopping for used tripods, so look for the one you want. The prices should be affordable in any case.

I got a vanguard pro something.
It has a extendable and flippable center post with hook for weights. Would've went user name brand if I knew what I was doing when I got it. The head does not come off of the legs and the plate is not an arca style. Overall it's decent, holds a modest amount of weight in weird positions and you can always double mount a lens if need be. Purchased on Amazon sub $100

Depends on the size camera you have. The MeFoto backpacker is $150 exactly (cheaper used). I have had one for 4ish years and really liked it.

Depends on the size camera you have. The MeFoto backpacker is $150 exactly (cheaper used). I have had one for 4ish years and really liked it.

I’ll second this. Mefoto makes great compact tripods for the money.

I have a size up from the backpacker (road trip? Day trip? Something like that...) that I used for hiking with my D810 and I love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back