best under $150 computer monitor?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by doziergraphic, Sep 8, 2010.

1. doziergraphic

doziergraphic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    May be a moot point, but I want to get a new monitor, but don't want to spend more than say $150 - I realize you don't get much for that, but is there a 'better' monitor for photo editing than others in that range?

Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't say for sure, but it's likely that anything in that range isn't going to be the type of monitor that is best for editing photos.

3. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have no issues editing photos on my 21" that came with my HP. nice resolution, good contrast....
    does the screen match EXACTLY what a printout would look like? unlikely, since i havent calibrated it. personally i think people can put too much emphasis on the monitor. granted, i dont shoot for natgeo or even dig BMX magazine. ;)

4. masterX

masterX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Under $150 I would suggest you to check out 23-Inch ASUS VH236H Widescreen Monitor. It has HDMI, DVI-D and D-Sub inputs and built-un stereo speakers. It is also equipped with a special VESA wall mount in order to put the monitor on the wall.
    It is a perfect combination of latest technologies, stylish design, quality and price

5. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Buying a monitor for editing can be a nightmare. This article can be very helpful in understanding what you want to get to and to find the best options within your budget. www.Clarkvision.com: Choosing and LCD Monitor for Photo Editing
    The dell ultra sharp monitors seem to be a good, lower budget option. I don't know if you are going to find anything under budget there. The lowest UltraSharp I see is $179. Might try ebay.
    You can always call Tiger Direct and they will help you over the phone in getting the best fit within your budget.

6. joealcantar

joealcantar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  7. Flyer

Flyer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was just fixing to say the same thing. I picked mine up Friday (not in the morning, we waited until late in the evening to go out).

I must say, steping up from a 19" widesren, it's a phenominal difference.

It is a little tall though. I had to make a stand for mine, to fit it under the cabinet where I have mine. If space is an issue, be sure to keep that in mind.

Next project will to be make a portrait mount for my 19" to put it on the side.

On a side note, this ay be my first post, I've had the account for some time, but haven't posted before.