Best UV/Protective Filter for the money

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are your favourites?
Some loooove B+W.
I quite like Sigma but lately I tried out (and really like) this new brand from Australia called MyGobe.
They're using a Magnesium/Aluminum alloy instead of the traditional brass.

I've found Tiffen to be quite crappy. Hoya is okay.

A while back I used UV filters but not any more. For protection I now prefer the lens hood. It causes zero degradation of the image unlike a UV filter. And the bonus is you don't have to clean it. But if you have to, I would use B+W.

A while back I used UV filters but not any more. For protection I now prefer the lens hood. It causes zero degradation of the image unlike a UV filter. And the bonus is you don't have to clean it. But if you have to, I would use B+W.

Quite. The best UV filter for a modern camera is the lens & the internal cut filter.

It's only in locations like the sea side where a protective filter makes any sense. The filter can then be removed & rinsed under the tap to remove sand/salt spray. A final rinse with de-ionised water might be worthwhile if the tap water leaves any residue.

Even the best clear or UV 'protection' filters can degrade image quality.

A former member here, Buckster, discovered his 'best' protection filters were causing Newton's Rings in all the photos he made with the filters on his lenses.
He quit using them.

I used Nikon L37C multi-coated for about 10 years, alomng with Hoya HMC (stands for Hoya Messy Coating; smearrrrrrrs when you clean it with any medium: Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue, T-shirt,Flannel Shirt, microfiber cloth, whatever, just smeaaaaaaars the gunk around); Tiffen makes a great hairspray filter / black spraypaint droplet when you want to make a fog or diffusion filter. Uggghhhhh!

B+W 010 is the best filter I've used, on 70-200/2.8 and 300/4 AF-S.

But, realistically, I just QUIT using UV filters for almost all uses. However, when trees are dropping a lot of fine, fine sap droplets or mist during the spring budding-out time, I WILL and DO slap on a UV filter on any lens that will be carried uncapped outdoors. As petrochemist mentioned, sea-spray at the shore is one reason where a filter might be used.

In the years since 2001 when I stopped using filters on a regular basis, there HAVE been some advances in filter (and lens) coatings, designed to repel water, to alleviate water drop rings, and to make filters wipe clean much easier. I have only read about those. Hoya made a hugggge deal out of this. Their coating was so awful compared to Nikon's L37C coating, it was just unreal.

I actually let the 300/2.8 and 400/3.5 and 200/2 VR and 70-200 and 80-200 go "naked" almost their entire lives....still...perfect front elements after up to 14 years on a couple, 12 on the other, 11 on the other...so...

I have seen tests of Marumi (?) filters...seemed good compared to other big brands, esp. in circular polarizers.

Last edited:
The absolutely positively BEST filter used for lens protection is call a 'hood'.

What are your favourites?

Not using one. For protection it has never been proven to protect but I can imagine how it could wreck the coating on your lens.

Most cameras today have UV covered and the only thing a filter will do is put one more piece of glass between you and the shot.

Not using one = FREE = Best Bang For Your Buck!
With the money you save you can go to Starbucks and order a: Double Ristretto Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Decaf Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Frappuccino Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, One Sweet'N Low and One Nutrasweet, and Ice.

Many Nikon lenses have that fragile thin plastic ring. The filters are great for protecting that ring

If that is your worry, buy any cheap filter, knock the damn useless glass out and put the ring in. Problems solved. With the cost of a cheap filter you could still have the above Starbucks, just leave out the Nutrasweet.

chuasam said:
Many Nikon lenses have that fragile thin plastic ring. The filters are great for protecting that ring

And today's externally-attaching bayonet-on lens hoods typcially mean the filter ring is secure and protected inside the hood. But if you really must protect that ring, a glass-less filter, or a step-ring threaded in, will do a good job.

I use B+W MRC 010 filters on all of my lenses. I haven't noticed any significant image degradation, and only see added glare or ghosting with strong point light sources at night or with long exposures. I find the protection pretty useful around young kids with dirty fingers, crayons, or want to lick everything. I had a Tiffen filter a few years back that came free with a lens I bought, and it was garbage.

For the money, I think Hoya makes the best (for the money). I prefer to shoot without a filter and a rigid lens hood.

Since a UV filter is nothing more than a piece of flat optical glass, the brand or price is not important. I suppose it is possible to buy one that is not flat but I've never encountered one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back