Best way to check a lens for damage?

Nevermore1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any recommendations on the best way to check a lens for damage beside the obvious looking for broken glass? Do you think a camera shop can test them? I was in a major wreck with my camera bag that had all my extra lenses in it in the back. Was put into the wall while I was doing about 60 by someone doing at least a 100 and rolled a few times. So far I've only had the energy to quickly pull out the lens that was sitting on top of the bag and I didn't see any obvious cracks in the glass, but, my vision has been blurry since the accident so I may have not seen something. I'll be shocked and happy if any of my stuff wasn't damaged in some way. It can all be replaced if it was, I'll just be starting over with lenses. Luckily my camera and my Tamron 150-600 were in the house and not in the car or I would really be starting over. I was very lucky that I only have severe bruising and swelling, a small laceration by my eye, a cut on my eye, broken nose and concussion. If the car had landed a few inches more to the left on the wall my head would have hit it on impact. Told my boss I would rather be getting a real vacation from work instead of this. :)

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Fairly simple really: Examine the lens externally, check the function of focus and zoom controls throughout the range (and aperture if equipped). If there are any switches (AF/MF, etc) check the function of those and make sure they move as they should Assuming that all checks out, mount the lens on a body and do a series of test shots, checking out every function, at all apertures and throughout the zoom range. As long as the images appear correctly focused and exposed, then chances are, you're good. If your insurance company will foot the bill, sure take them to a repair shop, but otherwise, no need.

Put lens on body, take photos, repeat with next lens until all have been checked. A bad lens should not be danger to a Canon body since all functions are electronically controlled. Just make sure that the body end of the lens does not look out of place or damaged. Hitting a mirror is not good for the mirror assembly.

Thanks! I'll try testing them when I'm feeling better. Right now everything is blurry and I can only really use one arm.

Going to try to test them this weekend. I pulled them all out and don't see any obvious physical damage to any of them. Keeping my fingers crossed that they all work properly. If they don't I'll be saving up for some new lenses, I've been wanting to "upgrade" to some better full frame lenses anyways with the intention of upgrading the camera eventually as well. Right now if I told my husband I wanted to go spend about $1k on a new lens I could probably get away with it (gotta milk being hurt as much as I can, it's been daily Drs appts since last Wednesday :) )

Sorry for your troubles! Glad you are ok. Concussion symptoms can last a long time and are nothing to take lightly. Take it easy and let your body recover. Find out from your insurance company how long you have to identify any damage to the lenses and make a claim.

Most reactions

Back