Best way to clean a photo filter?

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, i've tried lens cloths and the ol' fog the the lens with (stale beer) breath trick, but there seems to be a small amount of oiliness on my uv filter that won't go away. I doubt its enough to effect image quality, but i would still like to get it squeaky clean.

Can I use something like glass cleaner on the filter without degrading it?

I use spectacle cleaner on my filters. Works like a treat. :D As it's for any type of optical glass it leaves it crystal clear.

pomme said:
I use spectacle cleaner on my filters. Works like a treat. :D As it's for any type of optical glass it leaves it crystal clear.
That works very well. I use Eclipse fluid now. Less residue.

There is a lens cleaner made by Zeiss, primarily for their line of binoculars. But it works wonderful on any fine piece of glass, lens or filter.

Search through Google.com (bottom page here) the phrase "Zeiss Cleaning" (including the quotaion marks) and you'll get results.

I have used it and it works!!!

I just threw out two b+w filters on this flight. The engines on these old aircraft naturally throw out oil and seeing most of my photo ops were in front I paid the price. Working around vintage aircraft I'm always tossing filters from oil spots. I always keep at least two extra in my bag.

Geneseo_2004_4_030_copy.jpg

Geneseo_2004_4_008_copy.jpg

Eric

I also use Eclipse because it does seem to leave less residue. Before using Eclipse I used regular camera lense cleaing solution but it only smear my filters even more. So far Eclipse leaves the least residue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back