Best way to clean filters

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a Gradual ND filter, a polarizer, 5 star, and UV filter along with others. The Gradual has a smudge on it, and I used my PEC cleaning clothes, and it seemed all that happened was smearing the smudge. What is the best way to get filters clean?

If a couple of *hufs* of breath and a micro-fibre cloth don't do the trick, you can try a little lens-cleaning fluid, if they're gels, VERY small drop of mild dish-washing liquid and warm water, polish carefully with a micro-fibre cloth.

This is how I do it:

You will need either two micro-fiber clothes, or one large one.

Use the first one (or half of the large one) wet with cleaning solution to remove the smudge.

Use the second (dry) one (or the other half of the large one) to rub the filter dry. This will help to eliminate the streaks.

Just make sure that they are clean before you start.

Last edited:
The best way? Microfibre cloths with 100% isopropyl alcohol. Then a second microfibre cloth to clean. Then throw both cloths away since they are now contaminated. :)

A practical way to clean is to simply use any microfibre cloth or even a cotton cloth would do, heck a very clean cotton shirt is good too. Mix some white vinegar with water and dip one end in, wipe over the filter, and use the other dry end to dry it off.

Stay away from any cleaners with benzine in them.

have you heard of Norwex cleaning products? They have THE best mircofiber cloth I have ever used. The large, yellow, antibacterial polishing cloth:
Norwex Home Party
You only need water on it, no cleaning products. Friggin fantastic!

Most reactions

Back