Best way to delete photos...

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I usually just delete photos from my memory card when I am viewing them on my computer. Recently, a family friend (who is a professional photographer), told me that you should delete your pics on the camera instead. I don't really see how it would make any difference either way....does anyone have an opinion about this. Thanks.

There is a possibility that you can change the file system, or file allocation table of the card. When you format it in camera, it insures that it will work in the camera again.

This is a pretty hot topic among a lot of photographers and computer geeks. I just posted a couple of links to some good articles discussing the issue in my photography blog. The articles I link to look at the issue from a couple of different angles. check it out for more info.

My laptop has a card reader built into the side of it. I take the card out, put it in my laptop and download the pictures, deleting them upon completition.

Once this is finished, I put the card back into the camera and immediately let the camera do a format. That way I hopefully undo anything Windows did to the card formatting.

I always use a cardreader. After I know the files are on the computer, I take the card out of the reader, put it back in my D50, and re-format it.

It helps me sleep at night...

I'm a computer geek, and a camera nerd.
You can do it either way.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is making up a new wivestale, or has had a freak occurrence because they formatted the card in a different filesystem(you'd have to try to mess this up)

Just pushing "select all" and "delete" on your computer can't do anything bad...

But if you format it in the camera...it's the same thing...only takes longer.

Either way works. Do what you like.

W O W ... W O W... And err W O W E R ! ! ....

Deleting from the card in the camera is a good way of doing it .... IF YOU ARE STUCK FOR CARD SPACE.

BUT the screen on the back of a camera is VERY small compared to a full size monitor.
I always leave my images in the computer for a week or two, then look at them on the screen (Full blown 76 dpi 20 odd inches). It is still only a rough look but 20 times (Give or take) bigger than the camera back . and so a better look. If you hate them at this point , then ditch them...

W O W ... W O W... And err W O W E R ! ! ....

Deleting from the card in the camera is a good way of doing it .... IF YOU ARE STUCK FOR CARD SPACE.

BUT the screen on the back of a camera is VERY small compared to a full size monitor.
I always leave my images in the computer for a week or two, then look at them on the screen (Full blown 76 dpi 20 odd inches). It is still only a rough look but 20 times (Give or take) bigger than the camera back . and so a better look. If you hate them at this point , then ditch them...

I think that's what we were all suggesting.

There's a concept called "Best Practices" in corporate speak, which is a way of saying sensible behavior. Even if it doesn't make a difference (or esp. when it doesn't make a difference) you avoid that 0.01% chance that something might screw things up. Here's a few:

Don't delete in-camera. Deleting just uses up the battery for something you can do at home, and you never know if a shot might work after all. If you're constantly running our of room, get a bigger (or second) memory card.

Use a card reader. Do not create a charged electric bridge via cable between your expensive / finnicky computer and your expensive / finicky camera. Static electricty is NOT your friend.

Format every time. It helps minimize problems. It doesn't matter where you delete your files after download - on PC or by formatting in-camera, just make sure you reformat.

... and back up your data, dammit.

I use the software that came with my camera. I believe there are a lot of other programs out there that do the same. It renames all my photos as they come off the camera with a name I pre determine and either date them and/or put a number at the end. One of the options is delete pictures after download. This is Nikon's Picture Project, and if Nikon has the software that does it like that IMO it can't be bad.

I just re-format the card when it's time to use it again.
same here. I download to PC, laptop or hard drive, copy to DVD them reinstall card into camera a re-format in camera. Works fine and never had a problem doing this way.

I'll weigh in here:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! (how's that for subtle?)
Don't delete from your card for God's sake. It's a great way to screw up the card, or easier still, get in a hurry and hit delete all by mistake.
Maybe I'm in a weird group, but I've never heard a pro saying to delete from the card.

I use the software that came with my camera. I believe there are a lot of other programs out there that do the same. It renames all my photos as they come off the camera with a name I pre determine and either date them and/or put a number at the end. One of the options is delete pictures after download. This is Nikon's Picture Project, and if Nikon has the software that does it like that IMO it can't be bad.

I do the same exact thing. I copy with Picture Perfect from the card reader and have it rename to my settings and check the box to verify and delete upon completion (or however it's worded). I've never had a problem yet and I've done the same thing for years (different programs/cameras).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back