Best way to hang photos facing outward in a window

There is a shelf/window ledge that is probably deep enough to sit the photos on but they would be far below eye level as it's only about mid calf height. I'll need something to put on the window shelf to raise them up. Plus I really wanted to group a few of the photos in a square as they're a set. Maybe I'll get a big board and paint it white and hang the photos on it and then prop it up on the window shelf?

There are hooks in the top of the window frame already that I could use to suspend the photos from. But the window is deep and the hooks are not in the front so the photos are not going to be close to the glass if I do it that way I think.

Definitely more workable options than I originally thought though - I just need to come up with a plan.

Unfortunately the person who I'm supposed to be coordinating with at this location is out of the country and won't be back until after the art walk is over. The woman who I spoke to was very unhelpful as she had no idea what I was talking about. I'll have to go back there tonight to speak to the acting manager who may or may not have any idea of the commitment that his predecessor made to sponsor the local arts activities.

Is this walk at night?
Check the location at a similar time to when the walk is scheduled. Lighting is often the biggest issue. If there are not lights aimed at the prints they will probably look very flat and may not even be visible from outside.

As the window is deep I would consider placing the images back a bit and put some lights up at the upper front edge of the window and aimed back at the prints. The lights can be above the prints pointing down and just need to be about 10 to 12" in front of the prints.

If you do the white board for display, then just use lights that clip onto the top of the board. Check viewing angles and adjust lights to reduce glare to a minimum.

You can do a square by hanging two images and then hang an image below each of those two.

It might not look the best, but I would just put some command hooks on the glass and use picture wire to hang the photos below them.

Cheap, and could be easily removed from the window when no longer needed.

There is a shelf/window ledge that is probably deep enough to sit the photos on but they would be far below eye level as it's only about mid calf height. I'll need something to put on the window shelf to raise them up. Plus I really wanted to group a few of the photos in a square as they're a set. Maybe I'll get a big board and paint it white and hang the photos on it and then prop it up on the window shelf?

There are hooks in the top of the window frame already that I could use to suspend the photos from. But the window is deep and the hooks are not in the front so the photos are not going to be close to the glass if I do it that way I think.

Definitely more workable options than I originally thought though - I just need to come up with a plan.

Unfortunately the person who I'm supposed to be coordinating with at this location is out of the country and won't be back until after the art walk is over. The woman who I spoke to was very unhelpful as she had no idea what I was talking about. I'll have to go back there tonight to speak to the acting manager who may or may not have any idea of the commitment that his predecessor made to sponsor the local arts activities.
If the window sill (bottom) is wide enough to prop your pictures on (standing up). Have your carpenter friend make you a simple box to set them on, that is as wide as the window sill. Cover the box with a nice themed fabric (either matching your photos, or fall themed). Set your pictures on the box or boxes. And put some other decorations between the pictures (gussing there will be room).

If there are enough hooks, use rope of steel cable and make a random netting thingie of cable and/or rope and attach photos to the netting. Again the frame idea plus random netting/cable/rope would work ... if you made the netting 3-D (gave it some depth), you could also attach lights ... even flashlights. Or give the cable/rope a design, i.e. start in a corner and have the lines radiate out to the top and side.

Sounds like a job for a picture rail

I can’t do anything permanent.

Hmmm, what do they class as permanent? If you're allowed a couple of screw holes you could put one up, remove and fill at the end. Or if they are not keen on a couple of small holes in their wall you could build a frame to hang them from, like suspend them from a couple of hooks at the top, square frame, weighted at the bottom, say 4 wires running the full length with crips and a tensioner on the bottom. The materials could be to fit in with the design of the place, might get away with some industrial rebar or metal plumbing with a few elbows, a big bit of aged wood and a drill to create a few holes in the wood and a few eye bolts wth a long screwthread.

Thanks so much everyone for all the great suggestions!

What I ended up doing - I built a small shelf for the window ledge out of a bunch of Amazon boxes and duct tape. I filled the bottom box with some bean bag type weights. I got some pretty blue fabric to use to drape over the shelf. I put 2 photos on the window ledge itself and 2 on the shelf to form my square. Because the window itself is so large I also hung 2 photos above the window lettering using fishing line. Never will I use fishing line again. What a pita to tie and to use and to see! I will use ribbon next time so I can more easily adjust it.

Sounds like that was the best way to go, using the ledge that was there and having something to put the photos on. Especially for a temporary display. Take a picture!

Sounds like that was the best way to go, using the ledge that was there and having something to put the photos on. Especially for a temporary display. Take a picture!

I will. I have to go back by there later because I forgot the most important thing - the piece of paper that I'm supposed to display in the window that indicates the business is part of the art walk and also has my name and contact info on it. I am not really interested in selling anything but it's required.

Sorry, with the fishing line I should have noted to use a clinch knot and easier if attached ahead of time to a snap swivel. Good to hear you have everything up. It could be worthwhile to have a sticker on the back of the work with your name and contact info and a price. It is sometimes difficult for a store owner when customers ask about the price of a piece that is up and they just don't know.

Hers a quick pic of the main display. There are a few other photos hanging above the window lettering.

4A674831-2B69-4383-B3DD-4D9C24AEE036.jpeg

That blue really makes them stand out.

That turned out really nice!

Most reactions

Back