Best way to make a basic photo frame in PS7?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mal, Feb 7, 2005.

1. mal

mal TPF Noob!

I wanted to start putting a black 2 pixel frame around my photos, and I was wondering if there's a shortcut to doing it. I'm currently just using the line tool, but if I know anything, there'll be some neat trick that does it much more quickly and precisely. Any ideas?

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mal
    the normal way i do it takes longer but allows much more flexibility than simply drawing a line.
    I use layers - by making layers a different size (eg 4pixels wider to give 2pixels wide on each side) it means you can go back adn change the colour without any problem and not affecting any colours on other layers or on your original image.
    The downside is that it takes a bit longer to do and the image must be stored as a tiff or psd since jpegs cannot store layer info. The plus side is that if you always use the same size border then you do it once and can change change the colour to contrast or compliment your image.

3. mal

mal TPF Noob!

Thanks a lot. I'll give that a go.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's several easy ways.

#1: Select, select all (ctrl+a), edit, stroke, pick your color, choose inside, and since you are only doing 2 pixels, it's not much. If you want to do a bigger border, then should try #2.

#2: Ctrl + J to duplicate your background layer. Make your background color the color you want for your border. Image, canvas size, check relative, and add the amount you want to each side. I use anywhere from 20 pixels to 250. If you want to change the color later, fill the bottom layer with any color you want.

You can also add a small stroke around the image that is contrasting color to your background. After you've done #2, ctrl+click the layer with your photo, and do #1, only select outside instead of inside.

5. mal

mal TPF Noob!

That's much easier than the way I've been doing it. Thanks so much.

6. luckydog

luckydog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    choose your background colour in the overlapping squares on the toolbar (technical aren't i?) Click on the "Image" dropdown, select "border", change pixels to whateversize you want, click OK!

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know what version of photoshop you are using Lucky, but there is no "border" command under the image menu. Border is under select, modify, border, and it doesn't really do what you expect. It gives you a very soft, feathered border.

8. Diamond

Diamond TPF Noob!

another way.. you can also change the canvas size.. then select the "black background" to have a black border.

9. laudrup

laudrup TPF Noob!

Hello Matey,

The way I do it i a cinch. If you're cropping an image make sure that you leave enough space to allow for a border.

Use the "rectangular marquee tool" on the tool bar, click and drag the cursor from one of the corners of your image to create a rectangle of the dimensions you want the border.

Next right click and choose "select inverse".

There should be a glowing dotted line bordering your photo.

Next go to "edit" along the top menu bar of the PS screen, choose "fill" and then select a colour e.g. black etc, then click ok...viola...one border around your pic!

I use PS7, and this is how I make my borders. Make sure you don't do it to the original of the photo, I alway make a copy incase you decide it works best without a border or are unhappy with any of your adjustments.

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Laudrup