Best way to sell landscape photos

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, as some of you may have seen in other threads or gathered I’m finding myself more attracted to landscape/travel/adventure photography lately than sports or portraiture. The more I go on hikes and adventures to make images the less attracted I am to shooting portraits, weddings, or sports. And that’s fine.. this is ultimately a hobby for me. I simply have the business because it’s a hobby that largely pays for itself, and that’s all I need it to be.

I’ve always dabbled with landscapes, but have never attempted to sell those images.

I’d like to start trying to sell my prints locally, but I’m not sure what the best way to go about this is. Selling at local festivals? Approaching art galleries? Coffee shops? I figure the internet is not the best way to sell this type of work.

Has anyone done this? What works best in your experience?

If your in or near a touristy area, I say you have a good chance of selling well done work. Be it in local art fairs, or galleries that takes work on commission. You may find it advantageous to enter into some local state fairs or similar events. Your best work of course. And see if you can collect some ribbons to display with your work. In Maine you can't be full time photog and enter them though. My wife does when she has some really good pics from the year (most require pictures done since the last fair). She's had best of show once and multiple firsts in division from several State Fairs. She has sold all of those pictures and some extra copies. We don't have anything displayed now though.

I grew up in Ann Arbor and they always have the art fair ever year. Lots of money spent there. I would not expect to sell dozens of same print. I noticed in my time in Ann Arbor most had just 1 or 2 copies of each print in several sizes. They may have had more and restocked as they sold them. But on display over the weekend, it was just one or two. Of course if you have multiple copies on display / in racks, it takes away room for others to be on display.

The way that I've seen some landscape and adventure photographers make money is by hosting/planning/organizing workshops and tours for other photographers. People are paying serious money to go places with a group that they could go alone for half the cost but are either reluctant to travel alone or feel they need some instruction. If I were young and adventurous, that is how I would do it. Make money while doing what you love. You'd have to be knowledgeable of the area you're going to and know where to be at the right times as well as make some connections to arrange food and lodging. There are a few guys who used to frequent this site who host classes and workshops who are doing quite well.

It doesn't even have to be as complicated as an overnight trip. Five years ago I was in Hawaii and took a photo tour given by this young guy. He basically had a website and an 8 passenger van. He was fully booked for most every tour he offered. Sunrise 3X week, Sunset 3X week and also full day tours 2X week. He was getting over $100/pp X 7 each tour. Nothing was included except the use of a tripod if you needed one. I was the last to be dropped off after the sunrise tour (3am-10am) and we stopped for coffee and he was telling me about his business. He got free meals from the restaurant where he stopped with his tour group. He was pulling in 5K+ gross every week. His only overhead was the van, website and advertising. I got an email from his company the other day since I'm on the mailing list and I clicked through to his website and saw that he now has what looks to be at least 3 other guys working for/with him and is offering even more tours.

It's an idea I would be all over if I was younger. Still something I'm considering when I retire.

The way that I've seen some landscape and adventure photographers make money is by hosting/planning/organizing workshops and tours for other photographers. People are paying serious money to go places with a group that they could go alone for half the cost but are either reluctant to travel alone or feel they need some instruction. If I were young and adventurous, that is how I would do it. Make money while doing what you love. You'd have to be knowledgeable of the area you're going to and know where to be at the right times as well as make some connections to arrange food and lodging. There are a few guys who used to frequent this site who host classes and workshops who are doing quite well.

It doesn't even have to be as complicated as an overnight trip. Five years ago I was in Hawaii and took a photo tour given by this young guy. He basically had a website and an 8 passenger van. He was fully booked for most every tour he offered. Sunrise 3X week, Sunset 3X week and also full day tours 2X week. He was getting over $100/pp X 7 each tour. Nothing was included except the use of a tripod if you needed one. I was the last to be dropped off after the sunrise tour (3am-10am) and we stopped for coffee and he was telling me about his business. He got free meals from the restaurant where he stopped with his tour group. He was pulling in 5K+ gross every week. His only overhead was the van, website and advertising. I got an email from his company the other day since I'm on the mailing list and I clicked through to his website and saw that he now has what looks to be at least 3 other guys working for/with him and is offering even more tours.

It's an idea I would be all over if I was younger. Still something I'm considering when I retire.

I absolutely love this idea, however I don’t think I’m in an area that would support it. I’d have to move to a more lucrative area and while I would love to do that, unfortunately I’m tied to my home town for school and family right now.

Most reactions

Back