Better Batteries for Flash??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by linpelk, Oct 28, 2009.

1. linpelk

linpelk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a 580 EX II and I just use AAA Duracells in my flash. Is there a better way to power my flash so it fires more frequently? I am getting pretty frustrated with how slow it recycles. When I put a new set of batteries in, it seems to work pretty quickly, but not for very long. Thanks!

2. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Er, the 580EXII uses AA batteries. That might be your problem. :lol:

Alkaline batteries have the worst resistance of all, which means slow, slow recycle times. Get new rechargeable NiMH batteries; they have low resistance, slow death curve (how fast the battery loses capacity), and are well, rechargeable. They are the best batteries you can get for portable flashes (and before people go on about Enloops, that's what Enloops are; NiMH batteries). Oh, and the new ones actually hold their charge for a decent period of time. It's win-win.

3. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also have the same flash and I use NiMH rechargeable batteries. It recycles faster with rechargeable than with alkaline batteries. Only catch is when the charge drops low there is almost no warning...

4. linpelk

linpelk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I actually have a set of eneloop batteries, but didn't think to try them. I will now. Oh, and yes, I typed an extra A...oops. AA not AAA batteries.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A wedding photog I know swears by he Eneloop batteries in his multiple SB-800 flashes....he just raves about how amazing they are. His first wedding with them was a revelation to him...they got him an extra 150 shots or so before their recycle time got to what he considers the changing point for a new set of batteries,so they must be pretty good. He's an equipment maintenance nut, with the batteries all labelled by sets, the fanciest chargers, record of shot counts, the whole nine yards, so my next set of batteries are going to be Eneloops.

I have been using several Ansmann 2700 milli-ampere hour sets, and they seem good, but Skip's hugely positive experience with the Eneloops has swayed me.

6. linpelk

linpelk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derrel. Since I have a set of Eneloops in my pantry, this is the easiest and cheapest photography issue I've ever solved!

7. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you could use a power-pack if you really need fast recycle times

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    no matter what type of rechargables you get make very sure yo uget a VERY good recharging unit. Many of the highly cheap ones might recharge your batteries very quick, but with the rapid drain and recharging cycles of flash batteries that means they will quickly lose a lot of their life span. And then that means you end up dropping money on quick non-rechargables when out in the field - and it does not take that happening many times to add up to the cost of a better charging unit

9. linpelk

linpelk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This might be a stupid question but, how does the Quantum turbo battery attach to the flash? Is it only if you are using it off camera?

10. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What's being referred to, I think, is external battery packs. They generally hold a bunch of batteries (say 6) in a case. They're useful if you need really fast recycle times and the extra power. And if it's really cold, they're great so you can keep the batteries inside your jacket where they'll stay warm.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stick with them too. I was shooting with a set of standard rechargables and a set of Eneloops. The standards were dead after leaving them in the flash for a day. One night, before I purchased two sets of Eneloops for each flash, I was shooting in 35F-40F temps with the standard in one flash and the Eneloops in another. The standards were dead withing 10 pops and the Eneloops lasted the entire time I was out there.

12. maoparungao

maoparungao TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most photograpers I know from the wire services use power packs for a whole day of news coverage. I think they prefer power packs in their belts than having a number of batteries in their pockets that might get lost during a hectic news coverage.