better deal

blkmask

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a chance at 2 different deals . One I get a canon xs with 2 canon lens a 18-55 and a 70-300. The other is a canon xsi with 2 lens a 18-55 and a tamron 28-200. wich one would you choose?

I'd take the one with the 70-300, that is a great lens (you do mean 70-300 IS USM right, and not 75-300?). The XSI is a better camera but it's not leagues ahead, and there isn't all that much point in the 28-200 alongside the 18-55 IMO.

Last edited:
70-300mm, I believe Canon only make 2 70-300mm lenses. One is the the IS lens that I have. The other one is more expensive of the DO lens.

Around $550 at Amazon
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm-4-5-6-Lens-Cameras/dp/B0007Y794O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268914194&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Around $1300 at Amazon
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm-4-5-5-6-Lens-Cameras/dp/B0001G6U3Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268914194&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Lens for Canon EOS Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

I do not believe it is the DO lens since it cost a lot more. For me. I will take the XS package that comes with the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM lens.

I'd take the one with the 70-300, that is a great lens (you do mean 70-300 IS USM right, and not 75-300?). The XSI is a better camera but it's not leagues ahead, and there isn't all that much point in the 28-200 alongside the 18-55 IMO.

sorry it is the 75-300mm lens

hum ... If that is the case, unless the price of the packages are very attractive, otherwise I will look for something else.

hum ... If that is the case, unless the price of the packages are very attractive, otherwise I will look for something else.

There both priced at 599...

Where are you ordering them from? That definitely sounds like a too good to be true deal?

Oh k. Just making sure it wasn't some random online place.

I would personally go with the xsi. I have shot the xs and xsi and definitely prefer the xsi.

As far as the lenses go, the ones that come with the xsi are a better pair since they don't leave you with a gap in focal lengths. If you were to go with the xs you would have a range from 55-75 that you wouldn't be able to cover with the lenses.

Oh k. Just making sure it wasn't some random online place.

I would personally go with the xsi. I have shot the xs and xsi and definitely prefer the xsi.

As far as the lenses go, the ones that come with the xsi are a better pair since they don't leave you with a gap in focal lengths. If you were to go with the xs you would have a range from 55-75 that you wouldn't be able to cover with the lenses.

Thanks for the great advice Jeff, I was thinking the same thing.

Do they sell just the Camera with the kit lens (18-55mm)?

Both of the Tamron 28-200mm and EF 75-300mm are not too good. I believe the kit lens is optically much better than the Tamron super zoom and the Canon telephoto zoom lens you mentioned.

If it is $80 to $100 less, I will just take the Camera with the kit lens. And use the money to buy a different lens.

I'd recommend just buying the body without any lens, unless you don't plan on using anything but the kit lens. The included zooms are not good lenses... but not bad for the price either....

I have the 75-300 Canon make and its definitely a cheapo. All the images are soft unless your at F8 and there is a lot of light I mean daylight. Then the images are just ok. I would take the advice of others and get the body only or body and kit lens for now.

Most reactions

Back