Better in B&W?

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hi,

These shots were taken with a Nikon F50, kit lense (35-80mm), and cheap Tesco ISO400 Colour film. The prints i got back were not very good, pixelated, and i just scanned them on the flatbed (not the best option)..

These two photo's i prefer in B&W.. although the bright orange rust has it's own quality i still prefer the B&W.

I just want your thoughts.. i'm considering looking into B&W film and developing myself (for my "arty" shots). Will still stick with colour for general use though - perhaps buy another Nikon body for this purpose.

linn_kolektor.jpg

linn_kolektor_bw.jpg

orange_rail.jpg

orange_rail_bw.jpg

I was just looking for other opinions as yous will have a better trained eye for B&W photography more than i do..

Not really a fan of the first pic, but I would have to say the B&W works better. Definitely color on that 2nd shot. The orange really pops, I like it.

Thanks.

Yeah i thought that was the way it would have gone, b&w for first pic and colour for second.

i still think the orange is awesome, color in the second shot. :thumbup:

I know I was the one that asked you to try B&W for the rail, but now that I've seen it.... you can't beat that orange rail.
Still looks very good in B&W though.

keep that orange rail in brilliant color!
i love that shot.

I would definitely keep the color for the second one. That orange on the blue sky is just wonderful.

Would you have a mechanism, such as photoshop or gimp, where you could create a channel mixer adjustment layer to convert the image to b+w, then create a mask for the fence (or use the history brush) and let it be orange?

The first photo I dont care for too much but the second one is really nice. I like it in color more so than in black and white.

Would you have a mechanism, such as photoshop or gimp, where you could create a channel mixer adjustment layer to convert the image to b+w, then create a mask for the fence (or use the history brush) and let it be orange?

Johngpt's idea sounds neat if you could pull it off.

Most reactions

Back