Better in Color or Convert to BW

RyleaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took a couple of shots of my model, but when I started playing with color, wasn't sure if I should work on converting it to a proper black and white, or leaving it as a color shot.

Thoughts?

I am no expert but you would be better served to create isolation of the subject through distance away from the wall and a larger aperture. Unfortunately, this upload appears that you missed the focus on the eyes but more so on the areola. However, that may have been your intention. Concentrate on what you want to show in the render, if it's the areola, than maybe a well balanced b & w showing black, white, and gray values with an average vignette to draw the view towards her breasts. A portrait crop would serve useful in the render as well. I like your approach, it has a creative quality.

Both seem to work. The skirt has a lot of design pattern in it, so it works well in B&W. The color is, well, full color! So that works too.

I'm going: focus on the photography. Figure this stuff out later.

jcdeboever - It wasn't my intent to focus on the body, but I understand what you mean. I've been told a few times that I need to focus on the subject and less on the background/surrounding items.

jcdeboever - It wasn't my intent to focus on the body, but I understand what you mean. I've been told a few times that I need to focus on the subject and less on the background/surrounding items.
Not sure of your hardware but place the focus point on what you want sharp. Then look into or study depth of field. Many lenses have marks on the them that tell you what is in focus by feet or meters.

Not sure of your hardware but place the focus point on what you want sharp. Then look into or study depth of field. Many lenses have marks on the them that tell you what is in focus by feet or meters.

Hardware is nothing more than a starter digital cam. Trying to see if I'm any good at this to justify the next step to a better camera. Appreciate the feedback though. Like I said, just starting out so I'm open to any and all suggestions to get better.

Hardware is nothing more than a starter digital cam. Trying to see if I'm any good at this to justify the next step to a better camera. Appreciate the feedback though. Like I said, just starting out so I'm open to any and all suggestions to get better.
You did great. Pursue. Orientation is important, so starting out try doing one in portrait. Try to get focus point on eye. Shoot in aperture priority, that way camera will adjust shutter speed. Try spot meter as well. Better gear is better served if you can get good with what you have with an understanding of what your trying to achieve. If you think you have sucked out the potential of your current hardware and not satisfied with results, then upgrade.

RyleaPhotography said:

Look at magazines for picture "ideas" or "concepts"...the idea is a big part of a picture, probably more important than the execution of the technical aspects of the photo. I shot some nice pictures today at lunch with my phone's camera. The "idea" is more important than the gear.

Do not let starter gear interfere with your journey! Get out there, start shooting! WORK at the picture-making, while you do it. Move the camera and yourself around! Don't simply zoom in and zoom out--MOVE the camera and yourself!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back