Better kit lens?

ajkramer87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've narrowedmy choices down to either the nikon d90 or the canon 50d. I am having a hard time picking which one so I figure which ever comes with the better lens will help with my choice. So does the canon 28-135mm or the nikon 18-105 vr produce sharper images?

It's a kit lens. Don't judge your purchase off the cheapo kit lenses. Look at both brands and see what brand has the best type of lenses that you will want. Also hold both and see what feels better an flows better.
TJ

the nikon will be better from 18-27 and the canon will be better from 106-135 ;). other than that i agree with tj k, there's so much more to research and base a decision on than the kit lens.

A 28mm-135mm lens as a kit lens on a 1.6x FOV body is a travesty. That's an old film-era lens that has a reputation as a so-so lens. The Nikon 18-105 is a digital-era lens, designed specifically for d-slr use. The Nikon has a 1.5x FOV factor.

With a 28mm lens x 1.6, your 35mm equivalent FOV is 44.8mm on the Canon.

With an 18mm lens x 1.5, the 35mm equivalent FOV is 27mm on the Nikon.

Why any company would package a 28-135mm lens on a d-slr kit except sheer cheapness and cost-cutting is beyond me. Again, the 28-135 kit Canon is offering seems like a way to use up remaining 28-135 inventory at the expense of the customers who might buy such a lash-up. The better kit lens is clearly the digital-era wide-to-telephoto Nikon lens. The old Canon 28-135 is being used as a USA kit lens, but not in Europe or Japan,where customers are ostensibly a bit more savvy.

I'm not picking based on the kit lens. It's just an area I don't know much about so your feedback is only helping me with the lenses. Trust me I've been reading every review about the 50d and d90 for a few weeks now.

So I've narrowedmy choices down to either the nikon d90 or the canon 50d. I am having a hard time picking which one so I figure which ever comes with the better lens will help with my choice. So does the canon 28-135mm or the nikon 18-105 vr produce sharper images?

I'm not picking based on the kit lens. It's just an area I don't know much about so your feedback is only helping me with the lenses. Trust me I've been reading every review about the 50d and d90 for a few weeks now.
Sounds like you are. You wrote it not me.
TJ

Thanks for the reviews they did help. Let's say I get the 50d body. What would be a good well rounded lens? I want something that will be similar to the 18-105 but higher quality

I said it will help with my choice I never said I was picking based on the kit lens. It's just another factor that's needs to be researched. But thanks for that

It's interesting that Canon packages the 7D with the 18-135 in Europe and with the 28-135 here in the US. If the 18-135 had been the available kit when I bought my 7D, I would have bought it, but instead bought just the body.

Have you looked at either of these cameras in a store? If not i suggest you give it a try. Im sure somethings going to sway you Nikon or Canon. Dont make this decision based on a kit lens. Here are a few things to think about when selecting a camera.
* How the body feels in your hands
* The cameras menu display/ setup
* The Brands Lens selection (One may offer more than the other/Prices may differ also)
* You may even consider selecting the camera brand that will allow you to use family members or friends lenses.

Anyways theres more to consider than the Kit lens. I hope this helps...GO NIKON :thumbup:

if you're going to start by chucking the kit lens buy just the body only and then the lens you want.

if you're going to start by chucking the kit lens buy just the body only and then the lens you want.

excellent advice! i recommend picking up a refurbished bodu and then a pro quality ( constant 2.8 aperture ) low mm zoom. like the sigma 18-50mm f2.8

Most reactions

Back