Better photo quality?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by nightflowre, May 30, 2009.

1. nightflowre

nightflowre TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    HI mates,

I'm just beginning to shoot portraits against the sunlight, in which I try to make the image totally dark, just to represent the action. Should there be anything you think this photo can look better, please let me know. Thanks. Here come the pic:

Late harvest

This demonstrates a Vietnamese woman who was harvesting her rice crop.

1 question: When I shoot my photos, recently on the photo there appear little dots (or dirts???). I have to use photoshop to erase them. Are these caused by dirt in the sensor or the lens? Thank you.

2. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could be on the sensor or lens. If the dots are in the same spot every time no matter the lens or if your lens isnt internally focused (meaning there is an outside focusing ring that turns depending on focus), then its the sensor. If they move on each spot and dont come off when you whipe the lens, its on the internal compartments of the lens. I think a faster shutter would have helped to black out the body more to give it a more silhouetted look that, in my opinion, would look better. Nice concept though. And picture.

Mark

3. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it's perfect the way it is. Good work!

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dust spots on virtually any lens will not form spots on the image. They will be way too out of focus the actually form an image. In rare cases is is possible, but these are limited to certain complex optical systems at very short focal lengths and generally only when focused very close (fisheyes and extreme wide angle zooms focused under 1ft).

The spots you are seeing are most likely on the cutoff filter mounted in front of the sensor. This surface is just enough forward of the actual photosites in the sensor to produce slightly out of focus spots when dust settles on its surface. Generally, these spots become the most visible when shooting as small apertures (f/11, f/16, ...) and can blur to invisibility at wide apertures. The "cure" is to get a "sensor cleaning kit" and use it.

5. RJohnston

RJohnston TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually I like it like it is, you could capture the woman and rice, then make it darker. But, I dislike harsh solid blacks in photos, so the softer black with slight details is pleasing to me.