Between a Rock and a Hard Place...

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by JTHphoto, Mar 24, 2007.

1. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now that is interesting.

Eric

3. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Holy Toledo, is the tree in #2 one 'tough' tree, and a fighter, or what? Kinda freaky.

I really like the first shot...very simple, but so much of interest to look at (the curve of the trunk, the few leaves still clinging to the branches, the interesting colours and lines in the rock, the way the rocks in the bottom right are stacked, and with another set of branches sprouting forth there etc.).

I don't remember seeing any pics from you for a while, so it's great to see you posting JTH.

4. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ooo I really like #1. I wish though that the limbs of the tree were able to fit the frame without having to be cropped off. But, it's still fantastic.

5. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, anty, i posted [thread=94982]these desert pics[/thread] a couple weeks ago, but other than that, i haven't been getting out much, and when I do, its the middle of the day, so i'm just not getting any good light. I have a few more from this hike i'm going to post, but this first tree shot is really the only thing that turned out like I was hoping.

thanks ash, i hear what you're saying, but I was out of rock wall to work with, the sky is just above the composition here and would have been seriously blown out. also i was shooting straight into the sun, which i blocked with my hat to kill the nasty lens flare i was getting.

6. ravikiran

ravikiran TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hai,
    I like both the shots.
    I think there's something very appealing about the #2. For some reason I like it very much. Thanks for sharing.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Took me a while to realise that the background of #1 is rock face ... for ever so long did I think it was water which reflected all that rock! Is that a good sign or a bad one?

I like the "ikebana"-quality of that first photo, with the neat arrangement of very decorative rock layers at the bottom, all different sizes and cleverly "laid out" to form the kind of pedestal for the tree to grow out of...

The second is such a nice illustration of what trees do to grow! And if it is almost impossible .... they are still determined to grow!!

8. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the -no sky- effect. Having so much blue all the time can be annoying (IMO).

The first shot is so cool, and inspiring. I'll have to try it- first thing after learn to take good shots.

The desparation in some desert plants cracks me up. Looks like the little tree made a valiant, sustained effort. I like the design in the roots. What would think of cropping off the trunk?

I like both shots though.

9. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nature always wins, great shots

10. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i thought about it, but I think the trunk needs to be in there to show where the roots are coming from, otherwise i feel like it wouldn't tell the whole story, or as much of the story anyway... i don't mind if you want to give it a try... it's okay to edit.

11. Thor06

Thor06 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, nice job. I like your composition, the photos dont look awkward or incomplete at all. Nice work.