Beware *droplets*

Heather09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im sorry if everyone is sick of it, i saw some reading this morning and thought Id give it a try , it was fun trying to get them, did I score?

droplets006.jpg

droplets009.jpg

droplets016.jpg

I dont have a "for real tripod yet" but am using a cheapy for the cam corder. it kept moving on me LOL thank for all the C&C <== what means? lol

I put red food color in the water BTW , i couldnt decide on what to put in back of it, i used a black jacket on one and a pillow on another ... im so lost :lol:

im quite new to it all and have not tried a droplet yet.... how did u set this up? glass filled right up with the tap over it dripping?

I used a big metal mixing bowl and a tall clear glass set in the middle of it so I could over flow the glass , it was one taller then the mixing bowl it was set in and I used red food color for the water and a couple things in the back tryin it out. I got my hubby to do the water drops as i clicked away , i tried a few different settings ,but i liked the one that isfor flowers and adjusted it like some others have said on here, the focusing was hard, i got a TON that would be good but are out of focus. i shot about 200 LOL it looked best when the flash went off so i had to break the manual out and figure out how to keep the flash on...I am very new to this. Im sure I did alot wrong.

i tried a few different settings ,but i liked the one that isfor flowers and adjusted it like some others have said on here,
For this kind of shooting you might do better having the camera set to Manual and just adjust the settings as necessary. You'll learn a lot about exposure this way.
the focusing was hard, i got a TON that would be good but are out of focus.
Did you set the focus manually? Or was the camera auto focusing? It's better to set the focus manually for this type of shots.
i shot about 200 LOL it looked best when the flash went off so i had to break the manual out and figure out how to keep the flash on...I am very new to this. Im sure I did alot wrong.
You'll learn a lot from mistakes. Once you figure out how to get the flash to fire all the time you can then concentrate on the other things like setting the exposure yourself instead of letting the camera decide and setting the focus manually.

With the flash enabled you can then set the ISO to the lowest setting available to help reduce background noise in the images.

Setting the exposure settings manually will give you more control of your shooting. The camera chose a shutter speed of 1/30 which is too slow. With the flash firing you can set the shutter speed higher to freeze the action. You can also control depth of field by playing with the aperture settings.

Keep trying and post your newer images.

Last edited:
took it off focus for a few and not for others its helpful for sure taking the crutch off and learning to walk ...

couple more i did..

droplets1004.jpg

droplets1013.jpg

droplets1012.jpg

The middle image is pretty cool.

THANKS S, now Im going to take your advice and crack open the manual and read up again on ISO and exposure again. See how and what I need to do to improve.

I like the first one in your first post, though the extra little droplet next to the big one right at the surface of the water sort of distracts me. There's nothing you can control there, though, so I give the image a thumbs up.

I do think a bit more depth of field on that one would have helped, so that the whole image, or at least more beyond the droplets, is sharp.

Just my 2 cents' worth, and worth about what ya paid for it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back