Beware Gray Market Cameras!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Macgregor, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Macgregor

Macgregor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I unknowingly received a grey market Nikon D80 from digicombos.com.
    I cannot register it for warranty, tech support and downloads.
    Most of the order was screwed up . They said send it back for a refund less a restocking fee. With all the problems with the order, I just don't trust them. I will hope for the best but I am stuck without a warranty or product registration. Just a lot of junk I don't need. Find out about companies that sell gray market equipment before you buy. It was advertised in Popular Photography. I did not expect a company like that in Popular photography.

Thanks for listening,
    Macgregor

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is nothing wrong with grey market, as long as you know what you are getting into. B&H sells grey market equipment but they are also a stand up company so you shouldn't have to worry about getting screwed.

I suggest looking at www.resellerratings.com before ordering from an unknown company.

3. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah there shouldnt be that big a problem with no warranty you can always get insurance on the camera. Its not that expensive and insures you have a replacement should anything happen to your camera.

4. droyz2000

droyz2000 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    http://www.epinions.com is another great site to check out before buying from an online store. They have tons of reviews and I always look to see their rating before ordering.

5. awmp

awmp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I came very close to buying a camera combo from digicombos.com but had heard several other than good comments about their company.
    I purchased from DSN (digital shopping network, found them on ebay), placed the order for a Nikon D80 combo, will see how it goes.

6. Crobo

Crobo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    digicombos suck.

i ordered my d50 kit from there, they proceeded to call me and ask if my address was right (which it was) then asked if i wanted to upgrade. when i said no they said the lens i was getting was completely made of plastic,(d50 kit 18-55) every element and all, so i asked if it was from Nikon and they said it was. now i know that plastic is used in some aspherical elemnts of cameras but not for ever single element. the BS fest continued...

after i shot down their lens BS they asked if i wanted to upgrade the battery because the one from Nikon only lasted 15 minutes. i promptly said "cancel my order" and hung up the phone. adorama sold a refurbed d50 for ~300 and that is where i am today.

moral of the story f^&* digicombos.

7. Macgregor

Macgregor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Crobo,
    I forgot about that. They did call me to check the address. They did ask me to upgrade. I can't believe they can find so many lowlifes to work there. It is common practice for them from what I found out so far. The more people respond to Popular Photography the more they might do something.
    They have a link called adcharter where you can complain about service.
    Maybe they will do something. They called me back and said they will forward my complaint to Digicombos. I do not think anything will come of it.
    My mission is to blog whenever I have the time and let as many people know about them. I am sorry you had similar problems but pleased to have an ally against them. Popular photography has a site similar to this.

If enough people complain they might do something.

Kindest regards, Macgregor

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If I recall correctly, if you want to buy a warranty you can get one from Mack that covers a camera with an international warranty within the first 30 days of purchase.

As to whether that is a good idea, I will leave that up to you. It certainly isn't very expensive.

9. Macgregor

Macgregor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Sabbath999,
    I like critters too. I have been to your site. Detroit Zoo & Toledo Zoo are good places to get pictures.

Best wishes, Macgregor