Bicycle Touring... What camera to get?!?

yes for your needs
go for a D40 with kit lens you shud be able to pick one up for around $500 maybe less im not sure of US prices :)

I'm a big D40 fan. The thing is nearly weighless and it takes outstanding photos. Pair it with the 18-55 kit lens that comes with it and you'll pretty much be set. I have a D80 also, but I honestly like my D40 better. It's arguably one of the best cameras in Nikon's lineup right now.

I am looking at a D40 right now with these lenses

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor ED 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G lens. The other one is a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor ED 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII lens.

It doesn't have a case or memory card or anything. It is used. What would you experienced members say about the price? What's it worth?
[/FONT]

Also, my 28-80mm Nikkor lens I have on my N75 says AF next to it. I am assuming that this means it has an autofocus motor built into the lens. Is this correct? If so, then I could get by with purchasing just a body, correct? This would leave me some more money for accessories and maybe another lens!

Also, my 28-80mm Nikkor lens I have on my N75 says AF next to it. I am assuming that this means it has an autofocus motor built into the lens. Is this correct? If so, then I could get by with purchasing just a body, correct? This would leave me some more money for accessories and maybe another lens!

no, AF-S lenses have the motor in the lens

so if u wanna use that lens look at a D50, D70/s body :)

I was looking at some new cameras and Sonic Cameras (anyone ever ordered from them?) has a package with a lens...

D40 - $500
D80 - $500
D60 - $420

These have free shipping and seem like a hell of a deal. Decisions, decisions!

You will regret taking a dSLR set on your trip. If you take 2 you won't even get halfway.

Enjoy your trip.

I was looking at some new cameras and Sonic Cameras (anyone ever ordered from them?) has a package with a lens...

D40 - $500
D80 - $500
D60 - $420

These have free shipping and seem like a hell of a deal. Decisions, decisions!

if they have a D80 with a lens for $500 its gotta be fake

and at those prices.
i very much doubt its real.

if they have a D80 with a lens for $500 its gotta be fake

and at those prices.
i very much doubt its real.

Yeah... screw that. I just read a bunch of VERY negative reviews about them. Apparently they are a bunch of scammers.

if i where you
i'd go into a local shop

or buy from a plce like BH (link at top)
and just get the D40 with kit lens and take that. its the lightest dSLR, takes magnificant pictures and is quick and easy to use if your just taking a short break!

So... I have been toying with the idea of getting a P+S after the suggestions of you guys on here and after seeing the prices of them in the circuit city ad in the paper. If I were to get a P+S, I would probably sell it after the trip and put the money towards a D40.

Requirements:
Long Battery Life
Rechargable Battery
Takes great pictures
Durable/Quality camera
Cheap (<$150?!?)
Small
Decent Optical Zoom

What would you recommend?

You will regret taking a dSLR set on your trip. If you take 2 you won't even get halfway.

Enjoy your trip.

First off what business is it if yours what camera anyone takes wherever they go. You have no idea of this poster's athletic ability nor do you know the capacity of his bike or backpacks. You have no idea if he has ever done this before or what kind of experience he/she has so honestly where do you come off telling someone how far they will be able to get on a given trip or what he is going to be able to do. I really don't even recall the OP asking if this was physically doable I think if you want to take pictures enough you will do what it takes to get there. And this is coming from a person who, when both his legs still worked used to take an SLR and a Bronica Etrsi and a tripod on multi-day large mileage backpacking trips.
All the above being said I think you might consider the Canon G9 or the Nikon equivalent:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518209-REG/Canon_2082B001_PowerShot_G9_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518923-REG/Nikon_25580_Coolpix_P5100_Digital_Camera.html

I personally have been tossing around purchasing one of the two and if I did not already have a Nikon flash I think I would go for the G9. To me the G9 looks like a Dslr jammed ino a P+S body. The only real reason I am considering the Nikon as I said is that I already have a SB-800 and will be able to use it on this camera. For bike touring you might want to consider one of these the G9 is a fine P+S camera and you will get excellent images from it. I still stand by my initial post though that a DSLR is a fine choice and you will be very happy that you made the switch.

First off what business is it if yours what camera anyone takes wherever they go. You have no idea of this poster's athletic ability nor do you know the capacity of his bike or backpacks. You have no idea if he has ever done this before or what kind of experience he/she has so honestly where do you come off telling someone how far they will be able to get on a given trip or what he is going to be able to do. I really don't even recall the OP asking if this was physically doable I think if you want to take pictures enough you will do what it takes to get there. And this is coming from a person who, when both his legs still worked used to take an SLR and a Bronica Etrsi and a tripod on multi-day large mileage backpacking trips.
All the above being said I think you might consider the Canon G9 or the Nikon equivalent:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518209-REG/Canon_2082B001_PowerShot_G9_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518923-REG/Nikon_25580_Coolpix_P5100_Digital_Camera.html

I personally have been tossing around purchasing one of the two and if I did not already have a Nikon flash I think I would go for the G9. To me the G9 looks like a Dslr jammed ino a P+S body. The only real reason I am considering the Nikon as I said is that I already have a SB-800 and will be able to use it on this camera. For bike touring you might want to consider one of these the G9 is a fine P+S camera and you will get excellent images from it. I still stand by my initial post though that a DSLR is a fine choice and you will be very happy that you made the switch.

Excellent post! I am not set on a P+S or DSLR by any means. However, I will be getting a DSLR in the future so why not now! Also, I just found this camera. It would suit my needs well for the trip if it is a decent camera. If I can get it cheap then I will probably pick one up. I am watching eBay.

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/showthread.php?p=10418

I will just sell it when I get home to put towards my DSLR!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back