Big Big

thanks everyone and sorry Tim ;-)

Great shot.
Where you playing dead for it to come?

Dani.

He wasn't playing - that is his natural state - the bird took one look at him and thought - Hmm here's a food source that will see me through the summer - I believe it did try to carry him off but failed. :lol:

When I saw it was 'Big Bird' I thought 'wow' he's got the big yellow one off of Sesamie Street

He wasn't playing - that is his natural state - the bird took one look at him and thought - Hmm here's a food source that will see me through the summer - I believe it did try to carry him off but failed. :lol:

When I saw it was 'Big Bird' I thought 'wow' he's got the big yellow one off of Sesamie Street

I have you know Ray I can move when I need to;)

Alex of course it was.... LP was in his sexy Otter outfit... Strutting around... :stun:

I told you to keep that to yourself

I think this is my favourite bird photo you've posted since I've been here. Must be good as I don't usually comment on the bird shots as I have little knowledge or understanding of what's involved to get a good shot...except I can't do it. I really like the way the thin strip of grass is also in perfect focus.

I think this is my favourite bird photo you've posted since I've been here. Must be good as I don't usually comment on the bird shots as I have little knowledge or understanding of what's involved to get a good shot...except I can't do it. I really like the way the thin strip of grass is also in perfect focus.

:confused: is it really that good? I only posted the shot because I'd not taken anything new for a week. I really consider it to be a bit of a snap shot compared to the others I've posted but I've had a few people tell me how good it is, strange. Its a very easy shot to take, as Daan mentions Vultures are very slow in the air and even slower when trying to land, maybe thats why I don't think that much of it, it really is an easy shot to take.

but thank you anyway

:confused: is it really that good?
I think so but I appreciate what you mean about it being an easy shot to take and therefore not necessarily challenging which might then lead you to consider it as just ordinary. But I'm looking at it and thinking (1) I will probably never see a vulture this close and in flight, (2) because it's landing on the ground you get to see a bird of prey from a different angle to what is normally shown, ie, from below or standing on a branch, (3) also because of the ground, there is foreground interest in the shot when often what surrounds the bird is a distraction such as a messy nest or a blurred tree/branch and (4) the composition is aesthetically pleasing anyway, regardless of the subject matter. To see what I mean by this, stare at the screen and relax your focus so you get two images all blurry. The strong, dark shape of the vulture still pops out of the image.

Flyingsearle, get yourself down to the Hawk Conservancy near Andover and you can also get shots like that and believe me you will see vultures closer than that shot ;-)

Stunning work! Thats an awesome capture

Most reactions

Back