Big changes to JWDPhotography.com (version 2.0)

Awesome site! A big improvement, even though the first one was good too. :)

Joe:

I like the inside... but just saying "Black / White" on the home page is confusing. Not everybody who comes to your site is going to be smart enough to realize that you're actually supposed to click on those words.

So you might want to say "Enter Here" or something like that... because the goal of the home page is to get people to look at your pictures.

Thanks guys :)

Jim...excellent suggestion. I need to redo the graphics so that it isn't intrusive or detract from the simplicity, so it might take a few days to implement...

Having a splash page like that is a really bad idea. Its bad because not only does it hold up your visitors trying to view your site but it just kills your google rating. Google has things called spyders that go out and research all the content on your site and such. When your index is just a black or white link its hard to get good search results unless you have a lot of meta tags (i didnt look yet). I would suggest just having it go straight to you portfolio. It will help you increase your page rank! Ya I just looked at your source you need to get some meta tags in there (google it to find out what I am talking about). If you have any questions just PM me.

Wow! That is a great improvement, very cool!

I agree that splash pages are usually bad for visitors, and aren't good at all for search engines

Lots of meta tags won't save you either, a few meta tags that are consistent with your content will do more for your rankings, but remember, content is key

Looking good though :)

Lots of meta tags won't save you either, a few meta tags that are consistent with your content will do more for your rankings, but remember, content is key

Man, I wish more people would remember that. And good marketing will do more for your rankings than meta tags and content combined.

SimpleViewer is cool, but on hi-res screens it appears to be off-center to the left. I was also confused when I went to the Order link; it has you send an e-mail with the title of the photo that you want to purchase, but the title is in small text in the lower left where you don't really notice it unless you're looking for it.

You might want to also look into JAlbum's SVEx skin - it extends SimpleViewer to allow for folders so users can browse through the "directory tree" of photos.

I believe it is off center and to the left. It's to accomodate for the drop down menu on the right. ;)

...at least, I think that's why. :p

Most reactions

Back