Big Decision!!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by lifeafter2am, Feb 11, 2008.

?

Canon 40D or Nikon D300

Poll closed May 21, 2008.
  1. Canon 40D

30.0%
  2. Nikon D300

70.0%
  1. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok.... so for those of you who don't know, I recently lost ALL of my equipment. Long story short we were shooting some surfing promo shots for my buddies board company, and everything is now somewhere underwater near Palm Beach. :cry:

BUT............. the good news is I had everything insured! So, now I am waiting for the check, patiently (not really!!), and have come to a cross roads. I have always been a Canon shooter, since I picked up a camera 10 years ago, but now, I have the option to change teams per se. I am seriously impressed with the D300, and am contemplating switching to Nikon. The ability to get 8fps, 12 mp and the +-5 EV is just amazing!

Tomorrow I am going to my local shop and going to shoot with it and make sure I even like the controls and all. But, given I don't hate the controls and the feel of it, my questions are:

1) If you could either shoot a Canon 40D or a Nikon D300, which would you (if you were in the same situation as I am)?

2) And to all you Nikon shooters out there: What is the equivalent to "L" glass in the Nikon system? I heard it was the Nikkor branded lenses, is this true?

P.S. I don't care about re-learning a system or new controls, doesn't really bother me at all.

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon brand glass can be had in Pro and consumer flavors with several Pro-sumer samples thrown in for good measure. Unlike Canon, Nikon does not label the pro glass "Luxury" or something equivalent like "snob class". :) But look for features that would identify a pro lens, constant large aperture, "S" for silent wave focus motor, VR is = to IS in Canons lineup. ED is "extra low dispersion" lens elements and so on. Price is a good guide to lens quality.

My wife got the D300 for Christmas and loves it. When she starts sleeping with it, I start looking for a mattress and blanket for the dog house. It's not a D3, but it's IQ is close enough.

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Both cameras will work fine. Why did you go with Canon before? Was there anything you were unhappy with the Canon ? Have you tried both?

Maybe you should get Nikonos IV, I was high bidder on one to night on ebay for just $95

PS get a diving case or bag

4. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    :lmao:

5. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just started with Canon, no particular reason, just the first camera I had and then stuck with it. I really like Canon lenses, and have been spoiled with being able to afford "L" glass....... but I am just really impressed with the features and everything on the D300. Its the first time that I have ever questioned the system I shoot..........but at least it came at a good time! :)

I shot on a 30D before, and have used a friends 40D. I am going to shoot the Nikon tomorrow, as I said, but I don't foresee really not liking it. Of course, we shall see. This question is kind of pre-empting me liking it and having to really make this decision.

P.S. - I had an good waterproof bag, but that doesn't help when your transportation sinks. I usually shoot from shore, but wanted to try this, and it was working great... until we got hit! :(

6. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the d300 is a bit higher end then the 40D, but I don't know Canon's line-up all that well. I think it's closer to the 5D then the 40D because of full weather sealing. If I had the option to choose between a D300 and a 40D, there would be no question, it would be the D300. I've actually considered changing to Canon, so it's not about brand loyalty, I just think it's newer technology.

Also, from the few Canon's that I've used, I think I like Nikon's controls and ergonomics a little better. So that might be something to consider. I'd have them pull out both the 40D and the D300 for comparison.

With Nikon lenses, the "gold-ring" lenses are considered their pro level glass. There are a few lower level lenses without gold-rings that are still widely used by both pro's and amateurs, but the gold-ring lenses either have brighter apertures or more specialized applications, and also cost a fortune (similar to L glass). You can't buy a new f2.8 zoom from Nikon without selling a kidney, so keep that in mind before you switch (I just recall seeing some non-L canon f2.8 zooms for like ~$500, which is unheard of for Nikon).

Edit: read an article on Nikons new LCD too (D300 and D3). I know it's a silly thing to base a purchase off of, but from what I hear it is pretty phenomenal. Like, you don't even have to zoom in to check focus anymore, and you can gauge your exposure just from looking at the picture and you don't have to check your histogram.

7. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I went and held the D300 today and took some shots with it.......... very very solidly built! I liked, so now I really have to make this decision!

Everything I have seen so far looks good. The lenses and accessories are all about the same price, so I now have only found one problem. Is there an adapter to use Canon glass on Nikons? The only thing that Nikon doesn't offer is something like the Canon Macro Photo MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Manual Focus Lens. I was really looking forward to pushing my Macro photography with this lens, so I would love to hear that either I am wrong and there is a lens like this, or that there is an adapter... please! :)

8. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't macro tubes allow you to go to a larger reproduction ratio? I'm not sure as I haven't used them, but I thought that was their purpose. You could use them with the 105mm and have phenomenal IQ.

If you don't mind MF lenses, check www.keh.com or check BH and look for Nikkor AIS lenses. They will meter with the modern cameras, they are just MF. You can find just about any f-stop/focal length combo you can imagine (any Nikkor from the last 20 years or so), I'm just not sure which ones would offer the 5:1 your looking for. I've never actually heard of something that magnifies that closely.

11. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon one is a Manual Focus, and at that zoom size, I have heard is is fun to focus....lol. I didn't think about extension tubes, that might work.

Do the high end Nikon lenses have FTM (Full Time Manual) focus like the Canons?

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was a Canon film user and was quite happy with the limited gear that I had - mind you, it wasn't too much and still have it. I had always wanted to try out Nikon because, as far as I knew, Nikon was the gold standard back then.

When I went digital, I figured I might as well stay with Canon, several friends had 'em, I had a couple of lenses....just seemed natural. That was the case during all my research. Then I went to my local camera shop and actually hand-held compared the two (various levels) and the Nikon just felt so much better in my hand (particular with the upper level gear that I wasn't going with at the moment.....future reference). That's what sold me and I have certainly bought into the system since then.

I am currently at the point to upgrade to the D300 (tomorrow, in fact) because I again put one in my hand and kick the tires on it.

My point is that you should do something similar in your position. Test them both. Both are quality gear and both have exceptional lenses and accessories. What feels right for you?