Big digital prints part 2

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mentos_007, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know that we discussed a very simmilar topic in the other thread, but this is slightly different. What is the best resolution in pixels for big digital prints?
    I converted a shot into 4724 x 3582 pixels and it is 300dpi. Is that enough for 30x40 cm print? how to check if that's a good quality?
    First of all I used corel photopaint and then tried to resize it with Imagener, and:
    1) the corel's version of the same file has better colors but it's not so sharp
    2) the Imagener has brighter colors (a bit worse) but it's sharpnes is amazing - but on the other hand there are many red dots all over the shot...

WHAT TO DO ???

2. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    ok, no advice? or meybe you knwo any links to "tips and tricks" with big digi prints?

3. Rogue Monk

Rogue Monk TPF Noob!

That is exactly 40cm x 30cm.

To check quality, I would crop down (not resize) to an important part of the image (face, eyes, high contrast area) and than print that on your regular printer. If it looks fine, the entire image will probably print well at full size too.

Seeing it on paper is the only surefire way to know if it'll print crisp.

4. elliotjnewman

elliotjnewman TPF Noob!

what Rogue Monk has said is good advice, but everything depends on how you intend your end viewer seeing your print. If your going for gallery quality then generally 300 dpi TRUE res is required, although if its for, say a large poster advert then you can get away with less.

Try using Photoshop if you are having problems with resizing, there are several resampling techniques and plug-ins in that program that can help when resizing.

5. mentos_007

Photos OK to edit
    thanks! I'll print that and see how it looks. It is for a photo contest and I have to send it.