big digital prints

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into getting some big photos printed from my digital camera. I'm thinkin somewhere around 20x30 or something like that. So far the only place i've found to get them done is ezprints.com. Does anyone have any experience with them or have any other suggestions?

White House Custom Color (whcc.com) does 20x30 prints for $28.50 which includes 2-day UPS.

They set you up with an FTP account and you just upload the photo's you want printed. They use Fuji's Crystal Archive paper, no inkjet prints.

2 related questions-

if i have an 8x10, nice and crisp at 200 dpi, and i want to go to 20x24 and keep quality, is there software or a plug-in for ps cs that will do this for me or do i need to do all resizing myself in ps? i have read i can resize up or down 10% at a time and keep quality, but that takes alot of time...

also,

i'm assuming file size is going to be huge whether i use some kind of software dedicated to this task or not, correct?

wait a second, 20x30 at cost is 14.10? If so I'm really impressed with exprints cuz they only charge 17.95 for 20x30s

pro Photo (www.prophotoimaging.com) charges $38.50 for a 20 x 30 but is a texture finish - not the glossy junk most places use. Plus they can bond it to canvas and put it on a stretcher frame now for and extra $51.95. Sounds expensive but their quality is really really great. I started using them when I did children's portrait photography.

If you have any worries about DPI of the image you want printed, this PS plug-in called Genuine Fractals is fantastic. I've used it many times at work and have been amazed at how much you can blow an image up without losing detail...

i found this review of it..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/gf.htm

There is a demo version which you can down load from ZD Net

Synergy

Osmer_Toby said:
2 related questions-

if i have an 8x10, nice and crisp at 200 dpi, and i want to go to 20x24 and keep quality, is there software or a plug-in for ps cs that will do this for me or do i need to do all resizing myself in ps? i have read i can resize up or down 10% at a time and keep quality, but that takes alot of time...

also,

i'm assuming file size is going to be huge whether i use some kind of software dedicated to this task or not, correct?

Yes, but I can not recall the name, there is an old post about this type software somewhere on forum, it is for printing billboards

Osmer_Toby said:
2 related questions-

also,

if you're printing a larger area with the same # of pixels, the only way to "keep the quality" is to add pixel information that wasn't there in the original (i'm assuming its digital). i'm interested in Synergy's fractal plugin, gotta try that out. I've had some luck with using the cutout filter in ps (filters/artistic/cutout), it helps to get at least some sharp edges back, but depends on the image a lot. any way you do it, it's probably going to be long and tedious and very manual.

maybe you don't even need to bother with that stuff... if the print isn't going to be viewed up close, then no one will be able to tell it's low-dpi

i have used one photo enlargement program with great success called imagener. you can find it here: http://www.imagener.com. hope this helps! -dh

tr0gd0o0r said:
I'm looking into getting some big photos printed from my digital camera. I'm thinkin somewhere around 20x30 or something like that. So far the only place i've found to get them done is ezprints.com. Does anyone have any experience with them or have any other suggestions?

I get prints from Deviantart, who uses Ezprints for their printing. If you pay a one time fee of $25, you can join the prints program, and a 20x30 is $13.99 for matte and glossy print, and $16 for Lustre. They use Fuji crystal archive paper, and the prints are phenomonal. The added bonus is that you have an online store where people can buy your prints, and DA will print, package, and ship, while taking 50% of the profit over the base cost. You can charge whatever you like. They can print up to 24x36, and those are $18.

sorry it might be off topic but I see you've got quite BIG prices for prints! damn! here a print 30x40 cm costs about $7 on a matt or glossy paper and about 20$ on a canvas... I'll check the prices later coz you made I don't belive in those prices here anymore :) I have to ask in the lab again :)

Most reactions

Back