Big dilemma

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by joey33, May 14, 2007.

1. joey33

joey33 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just sold off all of my medium format and 35mm manual film equipment. This is the equipment that I learned photography on; shooting, developing and printing b& w as a hobby mostly landscapes still life and an occasional portrait of a person doing there work in their work environment using simple on camera flash. I no longer have access to a dark room and photography is still a hobby with no intention of doing more than a hobby. I feel as though a DSLR is prohibitively expensive! So I am considering a Canon Powershot A640 that I have priced for $250 to $320. My girlfriend owns a Canon Powershot A540. I like this camera in so far as the 6-mega-pixel resolution is fair to my eye. What I need help with is this. Is the 10-mega-pixel worth the trade off of advanced features in that of the 8-mega-pixel S5-IS that is slated to come out in July with a price tag of about $500. Could anyone please show me some real differences between a 10mgpix and an 8mgpix image as well as some short videos shot with both. Please help, thanks in advance.

2. Do not fall for the mega-pixel hype. More is not better. There's a huge difference in sensor (and subsequently pixel) quality.

If you're an experienced photographer, and you like what you see, then get that.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Iron is right.... its not a black and white answer... a 10mp camera will not always be better than an 8mp camera. There is just so much involved... including lens and the processing behind the sensor.

My first choice would have been to keep all of your equipment and work it into your hobby. Since you already sold off all the equipment that is no longer an option. The next option would be to save a bit more cash and shop around for used equipment. The third option would be P&S. If you are an experienced photographer used to having full control over the whole experience of composing a photo, most likely you'll find most of the P&S out there a bit limiting.

That aside, 6mp, 8mp, and 10mp are all capable of making wonderful prints. The biggest advantage for a larger sensor (more mpixels) would be your ability to crop down as a 10mp sensor will have captured more data. I would check dpreviews.com for detailed reviews on each camera to help you decision. I have heard good reports on the A640. May I also suggest finding a used G5, G6, or G7 (if you can afford it). I have been using a G1 and now a G5 as a backup point and shooter. THe G-series is a wonderful high end P&S line of canon that has many of the features found on their entry level SLRs.

4. joey33

joey33 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If anyone is still interested I found a Kodak EasyShare P880... I am very happy so far