Big NEWS - Say goodbye to LEXAR!!!

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Micron just said they were getting out of the memory card retail market. Basically not enough profit in it!!! Leaves Sony as the sole XQD card maker!

And lo it was that Nikon slowly became enslaved unto Sony. Sensors cards and more slowly Sony's control grew and grew until a Nikon was a sony in all but name. ;)

And lo it was that Nikon slowly became enslaved unto Sony. Sensors cards and more slowly Sony's control grew and grew until a Nikon was a sony in all but name. ;)

Add to the fact that Nikon is rumored to be in a money problem. Sony may just gobble up Nikon. Not sure what they would do with the Sony / Minolta line, and Nikon line. Hear the Japan govt was pushing Nikon towards Canon. Sony is probably the better match since they already supply parts to Nikon.

Part of me would love to see what Nikon and Canon researchers could do together; however considering whoever took them on would have a wealth of Nikon brand and designs I would see nikon surviving in design and brand - heck they've a huge market share so even if the company behind it has problems its a huge potential cash earner for the right investor.

Sony taking over would also mean that Canon wouldn't control a majority of the market were Canon to take over Nikon - that's a worry because no competition results in lower product standards. More competition puts pressure on companies to at least appear to out-compete each other.

Add to the fact that Nikon is rumored to be in a money problem. Sony may just gobble up Nikon. Not sure what they would do with the Sony / Minolta line, and Nikon line. Hear the Japan govt was pushing Nikon towards Canon. Sony is probably the better match since they already supply parts to Nikon.

it's more than rumor!
Nikon Announces Company Plans Moving Forward from Financial Crisis

apparently mirrorless is the future for interchangeable lens cameras
somebody better get on the bandwagon !
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

It sounds like their compact market basically collapsed faster than they thought it would. Mirrorless stole the serious compacts and cameraphones the rest of that market. Hopefully they can restructure - though it might mean jobs lost it hopefully won't crush them.

Whilst I don't use hteir gear its good to have competition in the market.

That sucks for us D500 users, cause now Sony can price the XQD cards anyway they want them. Surely SanDisk will step up and start making them.

That sucks for us D500 users, cause now Sony can price the XQD cards anyway they want them. Surely SanDisk will step up and start making them.
remember SmartMedia, xD, MemoryStick?

I've never even heard of a "XQD card," but if it means trouble for Nikon, I'm sad :(

My SD UHS-II and XQD are lexar

i have some old Memorysticks from when i had a micro Sony videocamera.

'Ye old SONY memorystick
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    728.2 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back