Big or Small

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Idahophoto, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Been seeing alot of this vs that debate here on the forums, I myself love em so thought I would add one myself. I have always favored lower capacity cards over higher right now I use 4GB San disk Extremes but the are getting harder to find new. I would probably still be with 2GB which is what I used with my old D90 but short of ebay I cant find them. My thought question is who uses the higher capacity cards and why? I know there is not to much chance of having corrupt data anymore especially when using good cards which I always insist on, but still, there is always the chance which is why I have always gone small. Is it time for me to pick up some 32GB cards or should I hop back on ebay. Thanks all

2. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, there still around. I was mostly referring to the two GB cards which is what I would probably use still.

4. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Since we had that discussion RAW vs JPEG.. I dont really care anymore LOL. I can put **** load of JPEG in any card!

5. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Um actually that's a totally different subject.

6. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok.. i prefer small.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I cringe and my anxiety level increases dramatically, when I contemplate the possibility of loosing 500 RAW photos in one fell swoop.

I use smaller cards, but more of them. It only takes a few seconds to change cards, though you need to have a system of managing multiple cards.

I usually carry 3 cards for each camera body and always have 2 bodies available, so I must keep track of at least 6 cards.

8. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've never taken 500 photos before reaching a computer. I suppose if I were a pro and had this situation then I would be more concerned. Especially if it was a wedding where It's conceivable that I would take more than 500 pics before reaching a computer. Then maybe i'd get some 4gb cards and only use half? but I usually don't take more than 200 pics at a family event. Which is all I really do.

9. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was shooting with larger cards, and have since started using smaller cards.
    I also do not take as many photos per session as I used to, my skill level has improved ;)

But I also like the idea of less images per card, and as Keith mentioned, they are easy to change and not hard to manage at all.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I like the newer SanDisk 8 gigabyte, 30 MB/s transfer rate cards. I bought a handful of them when B&H Photo had a big sale the day after Thanksgiving last year...they are a good compromise size...not too small,not too big, but juuuuust right.

I do not worry about losing images due to card failure. In almost 10 years, I have never had a card fail. I have however, had two, IBM 1-gigabyte Microdrives burn up, but those were actual micro hard drives!

11. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea, I'm with Derrel. I got 4 8gb cards, and they seem to be the perfect size.

I own two SanDisk Extreme III's (30mb/s), and two Patriot Signature 266x's. The Patriots I picked up because the prices on the SanDisks had gone up like crazy when I went to purchase two more, and after owning 2 Patriot USB sticks which have been amazingly awesome (and had some of the best reviews on the market at the time) I figured I'd take a chance on them. They were less than half the price (and even now are still $28 compared to $47 for the SanDisks right now), and after 5 months of owning them I can safely say they kick butt. They are as fast, if not faster, as the SanDisk's and have yet to fail me.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Signature-CompactFlash-Memory-PSF8G266CF/dp/B002YGTS10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1281035736&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Patriot Signature 8 GB 266x CompactFlash Memory Card PSF8G266CF: Musical Instruments[/ame]

...if anyone is interested. :)

12. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

That's because you're old.

I do the same thing.... always have. Always had 120 backs instead of 220.

Oh well.

-Pete