jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot from 50 ft off bridge, 100-400 & 1.4 tc

1492630919964.jpg

Sent from my SM-T377V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It actually looks to me like a spotted gar... musky, pike and pickerel don't have that type of mouth.

Glad you didn't fall over 50ft doing a fishy:1247:

Thought Gar were freshwater. Were you over fresh water or salt?

Yeah you got a spotted gar heres a link to the wiki for it Spotted gar - Wikipedia
and this is a link to photos of it spotted gar
I'm not sure that's it. This thing was longer than 3 ft.
around five feet then? even though it says they only get up to 3 feet it can get longer
Sure looks like one but it was longer than 3 ft.
yeah i think it might have just been one that was larger then normal but also keep in mind water makes everything look bigger then it actualy is

Thought Gar were freshwater. Were you over fresh water or salt?
They are, like pike & muskies, Pike and tigers have caudal fins with rounded tips while Muskies have pointed tips. I can't tell on that one. The markings look wrong for tigers and pike and there is a spotted phase for muskies.

You'll have to go back and look at the underside of the jaw: if there are six or more pores on each side, it's a musky; five or less on each side and it's a pike; five to seven and it's a tiger. Remember - it's the underside of that toothy jaw . . . wear gloves.

I'm also leaning towards gar - the caudal does not appear to be forked like the pikes - gars have rounded, unforked caudals.

Most reactions

Back