Big Protest Happening This Friday, and I Need TIPS

Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This friday, the Olympic Oval is officially being opened. It's a big event, and the prime minister is also going to be there.

Cue the protests. (Notice I say protests. We don't generally have riots up here in 'gentle Canada', unless it's over something important... like, say, hockey.)

It's thought that the Olympic protesters are going to be out in full swing, and the RCMP are all going to be brought in. There is going to heavy security (because of the PM).

That being said, I am behind the "line of fire" because I'll be there providing First Aid. It's been arranged that as soon as anything interesting happens, my team and I will be appointed outside, where I will quickly stick on a jacket (over top of my medic identifier) and be able to take photographs while my team continues coverage. My one condition? I've been told to stay far away. This isn't really my style, but I've got a 70-300 mm (which changes to 480 on the 30D), and I'm not a member of the press, so I'm making do with what I've got.

I'm generally used to being neutral (no one attacks a medic under any circumstances, usually) and I know that once I pull out a camera and I can't be identified as First Aid, I'm fair game. (Well, almost. I am a small female, so that might help. Or that might be a curse.)

I guess I'm just asking for tips. I've covered a fire, but never a protest. And when I've been told to stay away, and to stay behind the RCMP, I guess I also need tips on how to get good, 'in your face' photographs.

Help, anyone?

first and foremost, be careful... yes, here in canada, we are gentle, but its amazing how stupid people can become in the heat of the moment...

you joke about us getting uptight over hockey.. when I was in high school, my schools team was in a game, and the other team didnt like how the reffing was going... after a lot of fights, the ref called the game... out in the parking lot the PARENTS of the kids were going crazy... flipping over cars and buses.. it was wild

as for pics... well i'll leave that one to people who have shot this type of thing before

Yes Chris, I remember that thread and the heading was something like " .... going to be a riot" so I click on the "FAMOUS SEARCH" button and search for "riot". And sure enough, I saw the Title of that thread from the search.

But of course, I know what keyword I want to search for this time. :)

I really think this type of situation is very interesting, and hope OP and take some great photos in such event and come back safely. And of course share some of them with us.

Hmmm! Thanks for the link - I remember this thread too! I guess I reposted because we're pretty sure it's going to be a friendly... no guns, etc. I think the most we'll get into is pepper spray...

Hmmm! Thanks for the link - I remember this thread too! I guess I reposted because we're pretty sure it's going to be a friendly... no guns, etc. I think the most we'll get into is pepper spray...

Who the hell taught you Canadians to party? Haven't you been taking lessons from us here in America? It's not a party until a girl gets a pepper-ball in the eye fired by the police and dies, or until all the local stores are relieved of their goods just to prove a point...

[/sarcasm]

Harmony, I think you will need someone like me @ your back.

Ron:
67 years old,
5' 8" if I can straiten up,
140 lbs with money in my pocket,
wear glasses,
need hearing aid - she tells me
& I can still carry a 24 of beer but not too far. :sexywink:

How was it? Took any good photos?

It was raining. And I don't have a cover for my camera... so I didn't go :(.

Note to self: another item to add to the Christmas list!

large Ziplock bag, works wonders

Most reactions

New Topics

Back