Big Pup Falls

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by bogleric, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I don't typically post two images in this forum so close together, but I believe these are very different and would like a critique on this one as well.

This is from the Big Pup falls. Unfortunately due to steep rock bluffs and slippery moss I could not get well positioned as I would have liked without waders.

This image was taken at f/5.6, 28mm @ ISO 200 @ 1/15 sec. No flash, however if I recall correctly I did use a circular polarizer.

Does the depth of the image and especially the items in the right add to or distract from this image. I have mixed feelings about the effect that it creates. General opinions about the depth, and shutter speed for the water would be appreciated as well as the general composition.

Thanks,

[​IMG]

2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I do think that the contrast of the items on the right is slightly distracting. You may want to consider cropping it out, or darken it in PS.

I personally love the look of running water in long exposures, so I probably would have upped the aperture and made a longer shutter speed.

3. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments, I will crop the right side and post for a comparison.

4. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

for comparison by suggestion...

[​IMG]

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd crop the rest of the stick out. There isn't much over there that adds to the image, and it distracts from the falls.

6. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Should you get a chance to re-shoot, do run a series of shots with various shorter exposures. You may not to freeze the water, but a bit more definition might be interesting. I'll be at Watkins Glen and Diablo Falls in the NY Finger Lakes region this coming week. I will practice what I preach.

7. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While I do think the crop looks better, I was thinking in my head just as mark said, to crop out to the stick... that way the majority of the bright rocks would be removed and therefore less distracting. Also a tighter crop will allow for more detail of the fall when resizing.

8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne TPF Noob!

I agree to crop the entire stick out would bring more focus onto the water and improve the shot :D

9. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

thanks for the additional input. I noticed the stick when I took the shot but it just wouldn't go over the falls. Perhaps I will just PS it out tonight.

10. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not just the stick though. As flogging mentioned, the bright rocks compete with the falls and draw the eye. But if you take out the stick, you might get away with not cropping as much.

11. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think we are talking about different sticks. mark correct me if I am wrong, but you are talking about the stick that is sitting on the right side of the picture, not in the water. And bogleric you seem to be talking about the stick that is in the water. I'd leave the stick in the water but crop a good section off the right side to remove the stick and the brighter rocks.

12. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good point. Yeah, I'm talking about the one off to the right.