Big Pup Falls

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't typically post two images in this forum so close together, but I believe these are very different and would like a critique on this one as well.

This is from the Big Pup falls. Unfortunately due to steep rock bluffs and slippery moss I could not get well positioned as I would have liked without waders.

This image was taken at f/5.6, 28mm @ ISO 200 @ 1/15 sec. No flash, however if I recall correctly I did use a circular polarizer.

Does the depth of the image and especially the items in the right add to or distract from this image. I have mixed feelings about the effect that it creates. General opinions about the depth, and shutter speed for the water would be appreciated as well as the general composition.

Thanks,

Big_Pup_River_Falls_IMG_3998.jpg

I do think that the contrast of the items on the right is slightly distracting. You may want to consider cropping it out, or darken it in PS.

I personally love the look of running water in long exposures, so I probably would have upped the aperture and made a longer shutter speed.

Should you get a chance to re-shoot, do run a series of shots with various shorter exposures. You may not to freeze the water, but a bit more definition might be interesting. I'll be at Watkins Glen and Diablo Falls in the NY Finger Lakes region this coming week. I will practice what I preach.

While I do think the crop looks better, I was thinking in my head just as mark said, to crop out to the stick... that way the majority of the bright rocks would be removed and therefore less distracting. Also a tighter crop will allow for more detail of the fall when resizing.

I agree to crop the entire stick out would bring more focus onto the water and improve the shot :D

thanks for the additional input. I noticed the stick when I took the shot but it just wouldn't go over the falls. Perhaps I will just PS it out tonight.

It's not just the stick though. As flogging mentioned, the bright rocks compete with the falls and draw the eye. But if you take out the stick, you might get away with not cropping as much.

I think we are talking about different sticks. mark correct me if I am wrong, but you are talking about the stick that is sitting on the right side of the picture, not in the water. And bogleric you seem to be talking about the stick that is in the water. I'd leave the stick in the water but crop a good section off the right side to remove the stick and the brighter rocks.

I was thinking of the stick in the river, didn't notice the one on the right... :-(

This is a new crop, but I think it is too tight... opinions...

Big_Pup_River_Falls_IMG_3998_3.jpg

I think I would have left it square. Nothing says you have to have it a certain ratio. Many MF cameras use 6x6. Unfortunately it puts the falls right in the middle, but I think it's better than being distracted by the rocks. I think the optimum would be to recompose on site, but you don't always have that option.

I would love to go recompose the shot, unfortunately it involves a 9 hour drive each way. I would like to go back, but no more vacation time for me. If I would have noticed that darn stick I could have probably moved it.

I have always been set on cropping in aspect ratios since a few photogs on this sit read me the riot act for not doing that.

Thanks again for all you great comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back