big time NOOB question

user3977

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well here goes. without going to a class on this how does one learn where to set the camera at when shooting pictures. what i am doing now for stationary items is to put the camera in auto take a picture and look at the settings, then i turn it to manual and just adjust them to see what they do. is it just practice that you learn to just get out of the car walk down a trail and pop it in manual, make your settings and then shoot away? I know go take a class, well the local collage and the CC 30min away do not have any photo classes or groups. I am trying to get a club started at my school but still it is hard to do. so if you can all bare with me and teach me the ways.

It just takes time and experience.

you got the thing right, basically.
put it on program and use those settings in manual until the picture turns out how you want...that'll give you an idea.

Read a book on exposure. (shutter, aperture, filmspeed/ISO).
Figure out why you adjust each component...
Figure out how metering works...gray card...white balance...

That should be the basics you wanna know.

I think what you do is right.

first of all EV=exposure value, now read this

Learn to read your camera's light meter and adjust the shutter and aperture (in manual) until it reads in the middle(0EV). Take a picture, adjust the shutter speed until you have a pictures at -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, +2EV then return it to the first setting so you are back in the middle. Then adjust aperture until you have pictures taken at -2EV, -1EV, 0EV, +1EV, and +2EV again. then look at all the pics and compare. That'll teach you how your settings are effecting the pictures. also, if you take the shutter speed from the first -1EV picture and combine it with the aperture setting of the second +1EV you'll get a 0EV picture(usually ideal) it works this way for all exposures, For every stop you increase one element, you decrease the other element a stop. you have to keep the ratio the same for a proper exposure.

well here goes. without going to a class on this how does one learn where to set the camera at when shooting pictures.

Three things.

1) Take lots and lots of pictures, fiddle with settings, work out what looks good and what doesn't.

2) Google "photography tips" "beginner photography tips" or similar. Read. Read more. Many pages will have the same thing over and over, some pages will contradict other pages, but it will all help improve your understanding of how settings affect the end result.

3) Repeat numbers 1 and 2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back