Big Trip...what would you take?

FoundMyCamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a Canon 50D with the 28-135mm kit lens. I also have a Quantaray 17-200mm, the quality not as good on that one and no IS. I am going to Israel in March and was planning to have the 15-85mm IS Canon lens but my husbands income has been cut and I'm just glad the trip has been paid for at this point.:meh:

So my choices are to go with what I have, buy the 15 -85mm on credit from adorama or B&H (this is a trip of a lifetime for pete's sake), go with an affordable prime (like 50mm) that will give me much sharper images but will lack the versatility of range, OR rent some nicer lenses for the trip.

Ideas?

P.S. Btw, the reason for another range lens is because I like the versatility and the 28mm is nowhere wide enough for me.

Tough question, I am a big fan of my 50 mm prime, and really like the quality of the images I am able to get with it. I would consider that route. I have never rented lenses, but it seems like a logical thing to do, I am anxious to hear what others say about renting.

You might consider trading for the Canon 18-135mm or Sigma 18-250mm. I don't have direct experience with either, but they would give you the wider reach. Adding a 50mm f/1.8 would give you a fast lens for museum use, etc.

The 18-135 is the lens that Canon sells as the kit with the 7D in Europe (they sell the 28-135 over here as the kit lens).

I'd suggest trying to buy a used lens...then sell it after your trip, if you can't afford to keep it.

Most good quality lenses hold their value very well. You could essentially buy a lens, use it for several years, then sell it for a large portion of what you paid for it. Especially if you bought it used in the first place.

I haven't heard too much about the new 15-85mm, but it's supposed to be better than the 17-85mm, which I think it's replacing. I have the 17-85mm and it's a decent lens. Great as a 'walk around' type lens.

I also think that 28mm is no where near wide enough. Heck, even 17mm isn't wide enough some times, which is why I love my 10-22mm lens. You may want to check into an ultra wide lens like that, but it's probably not something you will want to keep on the camera all the time.

If the budget is really tight, you might want to consider picking up an 18-55mm 'kit' lens. There are many thousands of these things floating around because they are the kit lens for the Canon Rebel cameras. They aren't superb lenses, but you might be able to find one for less than $80.

Thanks guys! I will look into your suggestions...yeah, that 28 is nowhere near wide enough...!

Most reactions

Back