Bike Ride Across America

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by blakeimus, Mar 4, 2007.

1. blakeimus

blakeimus TPF Noob!

This summer im taking my bike and riding across america for charity. I also think this would be a great opportunity to explore my passion for photography. I will be purchasing Canon Digital Rebel XTI. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good light lens. I need something with great image stabilization, since most of these will be taken by hand. I would like something with some versatility, however, i will mainly be taking scenic shots. I would like to spend around 500.00. Anything come to mind?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    $500 for body and lens? Not gonna happen.

You should go for a Nikon D40 or D50 and the 18-200mm VR. It has VR and covers a huge focal range. Canon doesn't have an equivalent.

3. blakeimus

blakeimus TPF Noob!

Not for both, just the lens. Im looking to spend 500 on a lens. Maybe ill go with the D80 and the 18-200mm VR. Way more then I anticipated but then i won't have to change lenses much.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ..Or the 24-120VR. I use it when I need to pack light and still need to cover a wide range or don't have the space for a tripod. Other than that, I use my 35-70 f/2.8 for a midrange zoom becuase it's faster and rediculously sharp.

I've made spectacular prints off of my D70/24-120 VR combination that are extremely sharp. Just shoot RAW, stop down to F/8 and you're set. Don't worry about all the posts about people having soft images, when stopped down, the 24-120 VR is a sharp lens.

5. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i would go with the D-80, I am getting one myself. plus that lens is awesome i was checking it out at the local shop. :mrgreen:

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I agree here the 24-120 VR is going to be sharper than the 18-200 wich has way too much range to be sharp all the way through.

7. Ripnowell45

Ripnowell45 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont really know enought about equiptment but I just wanted to say that I am jeleous about your trip. Maybe sometime in the near future I will do a trip like yours with my bike. Take a lot of pictures and post them up.

8. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good Luck on your ride. I did the same thing but only rode 20 miles. Are you going to come by Charlotte, NC?

Sorry I don't have any advice on the lens

~Michael~