Bikini Models

tbsdphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My sister who is a model, approached me with the idea to shoot a calendar with 12 girls in bikini's. As I have never shot Bikini models, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this. I.e Locations, lighting, flattering poses. I live in Sunny San Diego so there are plenty of beautiful beaches to shoot at but I don't just want to shoot your run of the mill beach shots that look like they came out of a Roxy catalogue. Any creative or technical imput would be apreciated.

Look at photo websites to see what others have done. Analyse their photos, see what makes them work. Make notes, and follow those notes on the shoot. And make sure you use those notes to plan shots, so you have an idea of where you are headed. If inspiration strikes during the day, that's great, but don't rely on it. Planning is always good, even if you just have a few rough drawings.

Practice a bit with a friend before you grab a bunch of girls and head out for a shoot.
If you've never done this sort of shooting before, you don't want a trial by fire. Upward angles on women are rarely flattering, tends to make their butts look bigger...but if they don't have one, I suppose that could be a good thing...but I digress...

Thanks guys! All good suggestions. Im gonna go out with my sister next weekend and rap a few off and see where it gets me. I'll post for critique.

Well, the first thing you need to do, is look closely at the models and perhaps even make notes. Hair colour, eye colour, skin colour, blemishes, height, fingers, nails, legs, chest, posterior etc. The challenge is to accentuate the positive and de-emphasize the negative. Getting detail from black hair requires more lighting than dealing with blond hair for example. The bikini might compliment the total look or detract from it. If the particular bikini does not suit the model (in colour, style etc.) then you have to make some photographic decisions.

In posing, the location has to somehow relate to wearing a bikini. To indicate the exact opposite, I viewed a posting of a girl in a bikini posed on a coffee table in a bedroom. The style of the bikini was rather bland and uninteresting.

Be careful of framing. Hands and feet and other body parts should not be at the edge of the frame and body parts should not be cut off at joints either.

Eyes should be well lit and sharp. In harsh lighting make sure that you use a reflector or fill flash/softbox/umbrella etc.

In postprocessing take the red out of eyes...often around the edges and the end of the nose. Get the skin the right colour. (green, yellow, orange red, or white should certainly not predominate). Make sure of separation between the model and the background. Black hair for example must not blend in to a dark background and of course the background should not interfere with the model. Keep poles or other objects from "sticking out" of her head or other body parts and keep other people out of the shot or far into the background.

There is a lot more to it, but this will get you started.

skieur

Well, the first thing you need to do, is look closely at the models and perhaps even make notes. Hair colour, eye colour, skin colour, blemishes, height, fingers, nails, legs, chest, posterior etc. The challenge is to accentuate the positive and de-emphasize the negative. Getting detail from black hair requires more lighting than dealing with blond hair for example. The bikini might compliment the total look or detract from it. If the particular bikini does not suit the model (in colour, style etc.) then you have to make some photographic decisions.

In posing, the location has to somehow relate to wearing a bikini. To indicate the exact opposite, I viewed a posting of a girl in a bikini posed on a coffee table in a bedroom. The style of the bikini was rather bland and uninteresting.

Be careful of framing. Hands and feet and other body parts should not be at the edge of the frame and body parts should not be cut off at joints either.

Eyes should be well lit and sharp. In harsh lighting make sure that you use a reflector or fill flash/softbox/umbrella etc.

In postprocessing take the red out of eyes...often around the edges and the end of the nose. Get the skin the right colour. (green, yellow, orange red, or white should certainly not predominate). Make sure of separation between the model and the background. Black hair for example must not blend in to a dark background and of course the background should not interfere with the model. Keep poles or other objects from "sticking out" of her head or other body parts and keep other people out of the shot or far into the background.

There is a lot more to it, but this will get you started.

skieur
Thanks a whole lot! Luckily my sister sent thru email some sample pics of the girls I will be shooting. I will be taking your advice and have set up a test shoot next weekend with a few of the girls to get a feel for it. Will post a few images for critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back